Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
I am seriously pondering a pond. How much work are they and how expensive. I guess it all depends on size. Any experiences with ponds?

I do not own one or have maintained one but building them sure are fun. I helped my friend's mom build one in her front yard. The liner was used and we cut it to fit, I think she paid $20 for it (no leaks). Besides the filtration the biggest costs I can think of is decorating it, we ordered probably 100 bright red bricks (2 pallets), lots of sand, stones for the waterfalls etc..

I hear prepping them for the winter freeze-over can be a chore. Also up here in Pittsburgh we have some Blue Herring that love to get in our ponds and eat whatever they can. We found buying a life-sized blue herring statue and placing it nearby keep them out.

Good luck, once I move out of my apartment that is the first thing on my to-do list :)

Edit: another thing I remember helping her build in the fall once the leaves started falling was a 2x4 structure that would set overtop with screen mesh stapled over the 2x4s to keep leaves and sticks out. Also makes cleaning it out before winter easier.

Did you want it to look natural or is a box above ground fine, like a Koi garden?

Mike you have a lot of trees in your yard, is sunlight a high requirement? I have also been thinking about a pond....

Tagging along on this one. I was thinking about the same thing.....now to talk my son into digging the hole.

I think the best way to have things done is to dig it and pour concrete with reenforcement for the structure, like a pool. That's way over my head and not cheap too.

I have a pretty temperate climate here on the Southern California coastline, and if I didn't have trees that drop leaves like crazy, I would just build an above ground box personally, something I could sit on and watch the fish.

Pond Armor - Non Toxic Epoxy and Polyurea Pond Liners and Sealers

Check out this site. It can give you some ideas. They're trying to sell their product, but it's a good reference for all kinds of ponds.

woow, its been a long time since ive been on aquarium advice and thanks you guys, my sw tank is doing great!!! this is a great question. i am going to build a pond as soon as the government sends me some money, lol! i found a kit on ebay thats decently priced, but i have a few questions that may be silly, do you have to cycle a pond??? how long after i add water do i add the plants??

You should cycle a pond like any fish tank. Plants can be added during the cycling to speed up the process just like in tanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom