pool filter sand vs. play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which one of these two sands are easier to rinse and use as substrate? Which one would be best used in a S.A. biotope for corydoras habrosus and pandas?
As always: thanks for any advice.

Does anyone have experience with both of these sands??? Or what about black diamond blasting sand? Is it inert as well?

Pool filter sand is better. I am not sure about black diamond blasting sand in comparison to pool filter sand...

Cichlid Kid said:
Is pool filter sand more coarse than play sand?

I would say the grain is the same but pool sand requires LESS rinsing. I tried both. Play sand has nasty crap in it for our application. Wouldn't rinse clear I gave up got pool sand.

I used the play sand, 7.18 for 100 pounds and it took a little while but it ringed out fine. And it looks white in the tank, I'm very pleased.

Cichlid Kid said:
Does anyone have experience with both of these sands??? Or what about black diamond blasting sand? Is it inert as well?

I have used the black diamond blasting sand. although it did take a while to rinse I'd say it was totally worth it. It looks really nice!

I've used both PFS #20 and Playsand. I'll never use PFS again, had a horrible diatom bloom with it and found it just as hard to clean as gravel (things get stuck between grains). Playsand is so fine that it won't trap anything in it, it will just sit on top making for easy vacuuming.

PFS is like a grain of uncooked rice cut in half. Play sand is like table salt.

Here's a comparison shot, play sand is the finer of the two:
attachment.php

I've been using Quikrete's Premium Play Sand for years with no problems. It is now my go-to substrate. At less than $4 for a 50lb bag you can't go wrong. Use the pillow case trick to wash it out and just keep running water/stirring until the water runs clear out of the bottom. I used 100lbs in my 75g and it only took 20 minutes to rinse all of it.

Last edited:
There are lots of different types of play sand. I had a horrible experience with mine. Even though I rinsed and rinsed, it still had the consistency of mud, and whenever my catfish would scavenge, he would raise a huge dust cloud. I ended up digging it all out and replacing it. I do love my pool filter sand in the other tanks.

i bought playsand from lowes for 6 dollars for a 40 pound bag. it looks pretty cool, and my africans seem to like it. it took a bit of rinsing, but if you put it in a 2 litre bottle, and put the bottle into the fishtank, and let the sand go out ofthe bottle it will make less mess. the sand is heavier than he dirt, so the dirt floats in the top of the bottle. this keeps the tank less cloudy, and it takes less time for it to settle.

I've heard of the mud issues with play sand and I think it is the brand/grade that gives people problems. It needs to be washed, screened and kiln dried for best results. I think it was the Quikrete medium sand that was not washed. I could see some dirt/mud being stirred up from it.

I have used all 3 types of sand. I highly recomend pool filter sand. It is perfect grain size (mine was anyway) it was pretty easy to rinse and has worked well. Only issue was it turns grey but play sand might too.
I am using a snow white playsand that seems fine but it smells funny (doesnt smell after in the tank or affect the fish). I would not recomend playsand as quickly because some types are not fish safe.
Black Diamond Blasting Sand worked fine as well. It does not look as natural 1 because it is black and 2 because it has factory made looking bits in it. It irritated my hand when I rinsed it but didnt seem to hurt the fish. It was also the finest of all 3. It also smells funny out of the water.
The best method of rinsing IMO is to put it all in a bucket and run water over it until it overflows. Let it overflow until the water is clear then stir it up and dump the water. Do that at least 2 times. When the water is really really clear you will know. It will look clear the first time but will be super clear the second.

I just bought pre-rinsed play sand at menards and it was wonderful!

I bought play sand at Home Depot for less that $4 per 40lbs. I had to rinse very well but I love it in my tank.

I think my play sand is larger grained than PFS and therefore harder to plant.

GodFan said:
I think my play sand is larger grained than PFS and therefore harder to plant.

And there you have the problem. Play sand is different in different places. It could be coarse in one place and fine in another. It can be clean and without impurities at one store or filthy and questionable in another. It's purpose is to be put outside in a box and sat in. Pool filter sand must be of a certain graded size and quality that is intended to be put to work in an actual sand filter. While it's true that excellent play sand can be had in certain parts of the world or country, it's also true that other sources are best left outside with a pail and spade. If you have good play sand in your area then it's fine. If you don't then it's not. It's just less of a gamble to use PFS.

Yea. Im hoping the play sand will get better as it ages and settles.

I think pool filter sand is better. Right now i am setting up a tank and i am using Mystic white pool filter sand, which is already clean so you don't need to wash it.

Back
Top Bottom