Pool into a fish pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zic

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK. I was in Walmart when I was struck with a great idea. Then I was struck with the back of my girlfriend's hand.

I was leaving the pet area, buying a bottle of Stress-Coat, when I saw the inflatable and plastic pools. A light went on in my otherwise dark head :lol: . If I bought an air pump, could I turn a walmart pool into a fish pond?

My girlfriend must have seen the light in my head, cause she turned it out before I said a word, "No. Don't even think about it. You have TWO tanks already. We are NOT putting a pool with fish in our basement!"

DOH!

Some relatives of mine in california did that. They buried a pool into the ground and surrounded it with wood decoration to cover up the top of the plastic baby pool. It worked well for them.

Illinois, how deep is the pool because it will get cold there. UNLESS you are putting it in the basement

Here's a joke for you:

Honeymoon

John and Suzi had just driven an exhausting 12 hour drive to their honeymoon destination in Daytona Beach, Florida.

They found their hotel room, but decided to refresh themselves with a dip in the hotel pool.

Suzi must have dropped a few pounds due to the pre-wedding jitters, because each time she dove into the pool, she lost either the top or bottom of her skimpy new bikini. They had the pool to themselves, so
they just laughed and retrieved the pieces.

Later, they dressed for dinner and went down to the hotel restaurant. Waiting for a table they sat in the lounge and ordered drinks. Above the bar was a huge, empty, glistening fish tank. Curious, John asked,
"Why is such a beautiful fish tank empty?"

The bartender grinned from ear to ear as he replied, "That's not a fish tank, it's the swimming pool."

But seriously, I agree with D9HP, the pool will freeze if you try to have it outside. You could have it inside, but I'm not sure it will be as good as you think it will. I will look like a kiddie pool in your basement--and it'll probably smell funny.

I would use a solid one. And I wouldn't pick one with Barney and Friends on it :D

They have ones that are plain blue. I wouldn't try to put it outside because I am the vereran of many-a frozen-over winters! I would set it up in the basement.

Conan, did your friends use some type of filter and/or air pump for their's? BTW I think your screen name is a gag.

Shawmutt, I knew something was funny about that pool when I jumped in!

2 things, moving this to the pond forum, where it should be, and:

Those preformed kiddie pools often are made with inferior plastic, and/or plastic that contains algicides or other chemicals that will leach into the water. Those are the things I've read.

Now, what I've SEEN, a friend of mine used a kiddie pool for an indoor pond for over a year, no fish or plants died.

Go figure!!!

Been lurking for a little while... first post :D

Anyway, as for the algicides in the plastic pools... The cheaper the pool, the less likely they would be to sink more money into the manufacture of it by adding such a chemical. A $5 pool may be better for these purposes than a $20 pool assuming they are the same size and shape.

yer pal,
D_Frag

Zic,

I use the little kiddie pools all the time. No algicide in them. They come in 6, 8 and 10 foot diameters. A 6 foot diameter pond is over 200 gallons! You'll be amazed as to what you can breed or grow out in them. I do not use the inflatible ones because one puncture and you're in trouble. I'd put some viquene on the ground first to act as a barrier and to give extra protection on the bottom.

If putting tropicals in the pond then you'll need to remove them when the temps dip below 65 degrees. Meaning you'll need indoor tanks to house them!

The kiddie pools only wil last 3 maybe 4 years atmost.

para

p.s. Do it! You'll be glad you did! GF aside.

Greetings

I just changed my liner from a pool liner. When I asked about buying another pool liner (after seeing the prices of pond liners :( ) I was told by the local pool supplier that pool liner give off toxins to fish after being in the sun for a while.

With an investment in time and fish ... I opted to go the pond liner route!

mcraybould,

Good move. Yes they do have algicides on/in them. A guy was draining his koi pond for lceaning and bought a small pool and put his koi in it after filling it up. They all died from the algicide. The little kiddie pools is a different animal.

para

Back
Top Bottom