Poor Tetras):

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

soccerstar6

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
AHHH!! This has officially been the worst week of my fishkeeping hobby! I have had 4 tetras die, the male and 3 females. I figured out they probably have fin rot, but it also looked like ick at the same time. I got some treatment called T.C. Tetracyline from API. All the diseased fish seem to have died and I'm wondering if I should still treat the tank for disease? Will it harm the fish still in there?

Thanks for any help!

Tetras are especially sensitive to meds, and you usually go half doses for them.
If your tank had/has ich, you definitely need to treat. You can raise the heat up to 86*, add an air stone or lower the water level. Warmer water has less oxygen.
Fin rot is usually caused by dirty water, what are your water test readings and how often do you change part of the water?

My readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrate. I know what made them sick. I was doing my first water change and I added too hot water and it stressed them out, making them more likely to disease. Everybody seems fine now, I'm going to stop treatment but I will keep the water temp. up. Thanks:)

Back
Top Bottom