poorly colt coarl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all,
i went on holiday for 2weeks got back last week and my colt was like this.
well a week later and its still the same. is it a goner?
should i take it out of the tank?
img_909749_0_bd1d707a3f962655023cf27358ff2184.jpg

also i just got this candy cane some of the heads are white.
is this something to be worried about?
img_909750_0_70403b58f1ea796b93b989ca1a88f1ab.jpg

What are your water parameters? When corals are doing bad first thing is doing water tests and second is frequent PWC`s.

I agree with Mike. Test your water. That should always be the first thing you do. It is going to be one of the first questions we ask you.

Get those numbers posted and then lets have a look.

sorry about the delay been away working. should of put the numbers on first time but i was in a rush. well here there are. s.g 1.025
temp 25c
nitrate 5ppm
nitrite 0ppm
ammonia 0ppm
cal 440ppm
mag 1340
alk 9.3dkh
pho4 0ppm
everything good. all the other corals are doing very well.
hope this helps. cheers.

I have the same problem!

Will8,

My colt coral is currently undergoing the same problem! It was acting fine but then unfortunately one day just a few days ago it was discolored and shrunken considerably! It looks very similar to the picture of yours!

My water statistics were very similiar to yours as well. The only thing that I noticed was perhaps your Alkalinity was a bit high? but Im not an advanced aquarist by any means so I could be wrong. Still all in all your water quality seems good to me?

I did some research on the issue because I have a clownfish that lives in my colt coral and he is very stressed since this happened, so Im trying to resolve this issue ASAP. I asked my dealer and he said sometimes that Colt Corals will do this for a few days. He said it is "normal every now and then". I poked around online a bit to see if there was any truth to this, and found someone else who had made an article with the same problem. He thought the coral was dead for sure, but after almost 5 weeks the coral sprang back to life just as before! So apparently this cycle can take a number of days or weeks?

Im hoping that both of our corals are just going through the same odd cycle. My advice would be to just stay on top of your current water conditions and dont give up! I'll be doing the same!

FireFish36

cheers firefish,
i also have read somewhere in the past couple of days that they act like this.
sort of go in to moods. well hopefully they will be back to normal again soon.
glad someone has agreed.
my alk was a little low so i added some buffer and it shot up to that reading but i have done some pwc so it has gone down to 7.4.
again thankss for the info

yeah i have two colt corals and they shrink up like that sometimes. usually when the lights have been off for a couple hours. they always spring back up and are huge when opened up and the lights are on. I think you'll be fine it seems like a normal thing.

Back
Top Bottom