Populating new 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetratank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 60 gallon freshwater tank. Heavily decorated with plastic plants and hiding spots. It has a penguin 350 filter and two bubblers. It currently has
9 neon tetras
4 black fin tetras
4 black neon tetras
4 white cloud Minnows
3 corydoras catfish
Trying to decide what else
To put in there. I don't want it overpopulated and we like easy sturdy fish.
Someone recommended angelfish but I've also read they might eat the neons
I would love some color like Platys but don't really want babies.
Possibly all male guppies ? Cherry barbs ?
Any suggestions ?

Also do I need a second filter ?

The tank cycled for 10 days with stability before we added the first set of fish and they all did well. It went though a cloudy phase then cleared up and ammonia and nitrite tested 0 so I added the second set ( neons and corydoras ). So now go giving it a week or more before considering any more.

I think you have plenty of room to add to that tank: is it a rectangle or a hex? If you like schooling small fish, I'd consider adding 3-4 each of the last four listed: they'll be more comfortable, and you'll see more interesting behavior. I'd avoid guppies: the fins of the males would be tempting targets for the tetras. And I don't think you *need* a second filter, but extra filtration is never a bad thing. (y)

Thanks. We have some
Guppies in a second smaller tank for the kids.

What about danios ?

The tanks regtangular. I would post a picture but haven't figured out how to yet.

Thanks.
Another question. Do the corydoras need to be the same kind to be happy ? We have two with spots and a green. The lfs only had one green. He seems happy with the other two. But I will look for more.

Also any advice about eventually getting a plexiglass or algae eater ? I don't want anything that will get huge ! Or should I just get a snail ��

Thanks.
Another question. Do the corydoras need to be the same kind to be happy ?

I've never kept multiple kinds, but I think they'll hang together if of similar size and coloration.

Also any advice about eventually getting a plexiglass or algae eater ? I don't want anything that will get huge ! Or should I just get a snail ��

Plecos can get quite large: depends on the species. If you want an algae eater, consider the otocinclus: very peaceful and stay small. They can be delicate in a new tank, however, so I'd wait to add them. For a tank your size, I'd also consider several snails. Nerites are attractive and won't breed in a freshwater tank.

Back
Top Bottom