Possible 125g Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris J

Aquarium Advice Freak
So recently I've been working on the wife to get permission for a 125g saltwater. She loves porcupine puffers so I've been using that to coerce her into allowing a 2nd 125g. My potential stocking list is as follows:

Saltwater (125g)
Porcupine Puffer - $30
Blue Throat Triggerfish - $70
Harlequin Tusk - $80
Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish (2?) - $25ea
Yellow Stripe Maroon Clownfish (2?) - $30ea

Does anyone see any issue with this stock list? Also would corals and nems be ok with these fish? I know I can't have any normal inverts (crabs/shrimps)

Also if I was to drop the maroon clowns from the list would I have any problems adding my current stock with any of the fish on my potential list.

Current Stock
1 Valentini puffer
2 Ocellaris clowns
1 yellowtail damsel
1 snowflake eel

Also would a 40g Breeder work as a sump/fuge for a 125g?

The 40 breeder would be a good sump for a 125, but it will not fit in a standard 125's stand. The 40b and the 125 have the same front to back dimensions.

That's a lot of big fish for a 125. Too many IMO. As far as corals being safe, it's hard to say. The trigger may eat them. The small puffer and clowns may get swallowed up by the lions. Most of these fish, if purchased small, will have to be re-homed in a short time.

Last edited:
Thank you Mr. X for responding. I had a feeling that it was probably over stocked. Would a 180g be a better fit if I was to drop the maroon clowns and maybe only do on dwarf lionfish? I figured the Ocellaris clowns would not go well with the larger fish, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Are the dwarf lions the only threat to the Ocellaris? Or are they threatened by the trigger puffer or tusk? Those are the 3 fish I really want the larger tank for, what size tank would I need for those 3. I really only want to keep softies and nems, would the softies toxicity and the nems sting keep them safe from the trigger? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I've only kept a nano saltwater and I am just trying to get as much info as possible before I actually dive into a large scale saltwater tank.

I think if you can go 180g, that would be better. The Tusk gets big, the Trigger is a decent size, but they are probably the most mellow of the Triggers. Both are "with caution" for reef, so its just kind of a gamble in how the fish you get decides to behave. With the lion fish, you just have to make sure that anything else in the tank is bigger than it's mouth. The porcupine puffer is listed as not reef safe. I've never had one, so just going by the book on that. They need lots of room (180g).

The Tusk and Trigger are great fish. Both are on my future list whenever I finally get to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a pair of Blue Jaws.

What is a harlequin tusk? After my million hours of reading why don't I know? Not taking over your thread, just so curious!

I don't know how to do links from my phone...wrasse with orange and white vertical stripes with some blue/purple towards the tail...come from Indian Ocean and Australia. The Aussie versions cost a lot more, but usually look better due to more blue by the tail.

Your link worked, they are beautiful! A Personality much like my new 5 stripe/ pink face wrasse (yup, I bought him). Thanks Todd. Everyone carry on, sorry to interrupt.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom