possible driftwood disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasblitzem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday the plants I ordered came, so I set up my aquarium. I had been soaking my driftwood for a few days but it still floated. I got a sheet of egg crate from Home Depot for the bottom of the tank, and tied the driftwood to it with thread. Set it in, filled the tank with sand and Floramax and another layer of sand, and completed the planting. Then last night it dawned on me. What's going to happen when the thread dissolves or breaks? My driftwood's going to float up and destroy everything! What can I do to avoid this? Pray the thread lasts forever?

Yesterday the plants I ordered came, so I set up my aquarium. I had been soaking my driftwood for a few days but it still floated. I got a sheet of egg crate from Home Depot for the bottom of the tank, and tied the driftwood to it with thread. Set it in, filled the tank with sand and Floramax and another layer of sand, and completed the planting. Then last night it dawned on me. What's going to happen when the thread dissolves or breaks? My driftwood's going to float up and destroy everything! What can I do to avoid this? Pray the thread lasts forever?

Chances are by the time the thread dissolves, it should be sufficiently waterlogged. However, can you put some rocks / stones on the DW to anchor it down?

texasblitzem said:

Egg crate to anchor driftwood? Omg, that's so easy. I need to get one so I can anchor my wood instead of waiting for it to get waterlogged.

Here's the driftwood in pre-planting. And post-planting.

Attachments

• Just started.jpg
    Just started.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN2227.jpg
    DSCN2227.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 152

EGG CRATE?? Don't mean to sound stupid, but when you say egg crate are you talking about the foam stuff? If so, won't that eventually brake down in the water?

EGG CRATE?? Don't mean to sound stupid, but when you say egg crate are you talking about the foam stuff? If so, won't that eventually brake down in the water?

It's usually a lighting panel .. see below.
Lighting Panel from The Home Depot - Model LP2448EGG-5

It really is a great idea as a base to protect the glass against heavy DW and rocks and to help anchor down DW / Plants. Wish I'd've heard of it when I first set up my tank.

heres the egg crate in the tank..
I had to trim it to size, I just used wire cutters, worked great.
I placed the driftwood on top of the egg crate, placed it where I wanted it, used a Sharpie to outline the base on the egg crate, removed the egg crate and driftwood, then used thread going under the crate and through a hole in the driftwood. Looking back I wished I had used more thread, I would feel better.

Attachments

• Egg crate.jpg
    Egg crate.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom