possible ich (please answer!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfishkid

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I noticed a few spots on my mickey mouse platy, and then again on my Cremesickle lyretail molly. I'm going to assume it's ich. Currently in my tank (20 gal.) is:

-5 neon tetras
-4 kuhli loaches
-2 platies (1 mickey, 1 sunburst)
-3 lyretail mollies (1 dalmatian, 1 creme, 1 silver)
-1 dwarf gourami
-SA bumblebee catfish

So far I've turned up the temp like 1-2 degrees, I'm about to give a dose of Pimafix. Should I give a full dose or a half dose? Any other suggestions for ich treatment?

I have never heard of using pimafix for ich. If I see Ich in my tank, I use a half does of API Super ick cure. If you can, I would move the neon tetras to a quarantine tank if you can before you dose - they really do not do well with the Super Ick Cure - I used a full dose with six neons in my tank and lost three :( If you don't have a QT, maybe try a quarter dose? I am not sure if this would be effective though. Maybe someone else knows more!

Raise the temp quite high - ich is killed at eighty six degrees farenheit and add salt!

Aquarium salt, its sold at fish stores. It is pure NaCl, table salt has Iodine in it usually.

I'll have to go out and buy that, but it might be until wednesday that I can go out and get it. Will they survive? I really want to do all that I can to keep everyone alive. The only ones that have not caught it so far are the kuhlis, the dwarf gourami, and the bumblebee catfish.

What temp is your tank at now? It needs to be at 86 F, and I wouldn't medicate the tank unless it's 100% necissairy, just do lots of water changes before you can go get the medication and see if that helps any. I hope all your fishes live though! Good luck!

I bought 10 black neons a few months ago, the next day I seen a few ick, then within 2 days I had a major ick out break. Luckily they were in a 10 gallon quarantine tank.

My treatment was 80% water change including good suctioning of substrate, filter cleaned with tap water everyday. My temp was 80 degrees and I added high flow of an extra air stone because the increase in heat depletes oxygen. By the 4th day most of the ick was gone. I only lost 2 fish, but they were completely covered in ick and their fins had shredded within those first 2 days.

I forgot to add that I also over fed the fish with blood worms, brine shrimp and flakes to try and maintain their health. It did not matter the extra food in the tank because I was doing water changes every day

Back
Top Bottom