Post-pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonstinton

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey.

We've got 3 platy, 1male and 2 females. One of the females gave birth to around 100 fry about a month ago. Prior to giving birth, she was huge, understandable considering the size of the batch!

Now a month on, she is still pretty big. She seems to have kept the darkness behind her stomach, and she has been like this for four weeks now. It's almost as if she is still pregnant.

Is this anything to worry about, the male follows her round all the time and is very protective of her.

Is it a problem or just like stretch marks from such a big batch?

Thanks,

Jon&Liz

Platys are a great baby making machine :crazyeyes: From just one mating I am fairly sure they can have around 4 pregnancies (mine do anyway).

Livebearers can store sperm and can have fry every 3-4 weeks, or so. What are you going to do with all the fry?!?!?!? 8O

well, unfortunately, after we put them in nursery tanks they have dropped off a few at a time. It always seems to be the smallest that die first, guess its jst survival of the fitest.

We are now down to about 40, some still in the nursery tank but most are in with the adults and they are getting on fine, already eating the large flake food we put in for the adults,

So could she still just be pregnant again?

Simple answer YES. I ended up separating my male and female platy's but weeks after my female was still big and delivering babies.

Cool! we look forward to another batch of young ones very soon!(not a cliff richard quote i add! lol!)

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom