Potted Amazon Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jantaris

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there...

Quick question about my potted amazon sword. I see a whole ton of root and am wondering whether these are plants that can be separated and spread around the tank easily. My sense is the answer is yes but wanted to ask before attempting. Thanks.

Amazon Swords have to be divided carefully and I prefer just waiting until they throw up runners where new daughter plants grow from. Then when they get a few roots you can clip them off and plant them.

Amazon Swords have to be divided carefully and I prefer just waiting until they throw up runners where new daughter plants grow from. Then when they get a few roots you can clip them off and plant them.

That's exactly the type of info I needed. Thanks very much. I may, then, abandon this plastic pot, which doesn't really allow for the plant to stay down the way I'd like, and just let those roots go into the substrate (gravel, which now that I've been researching I'd like to change out to sand) and wait. Patiently. Thanks again for your reply, Rivercats. Appreciated.

You don't ever want to leave plants in those pots. Also when you plant it cut the roots down to 3 or 4" long after de-potting it as this stimulates new root growth. Just don't cut them too short if it's a big plant or it can be hard to keep them down. Also be sure to add root tabs around it as swords in general are heavy root feeders.

You don't ever want to leave plants in those pots. Also when you plant it cut the roots down to 3 or 4" long after de-potting it as this stimulates new root growth. Just don't cut them too short if it's a big plant or it can be hard to keep them down. Also be sure to add root tabs around it as swords in general are heavy root feeders.

And yet, of course, the LFS said "oh yes, just leave it in the pot. That's why we have some potted and some not." Of course! Well, I think I'll take your word, expertise and experience for it, Rivercats, and never leave a plant like that again. Thanks or the tips re: planting.

Back
Top Bottom