power head for a 90 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hotskate

Aquarium Advice Freak
this is what i plan on getting?

okay i have a 90 gal with a bunch of live rock cycling i need these few things tell me what u think

okay i need a pump to pump the mixed salt water back into the tank when i do water changes i would need it to pump 6 feet high okay

now i plan on putting 2 power heads what do i need and which ones do u recomend and where do i put them"?

im gonna purchase my protein skimmer this week i think the berlin classic turbo

if i wanan do anemoes? do i need better lighting?

Aquaball Powerhead 1212 hows that one? what do u recomend i figured id get 2 ?

Re: this is what i plan on getting?

hotskate said:
okay i have a 90 gal with a bunch of live rock cycling i need these few things tell me what u think
okay i need a pump to pump the mixed salt water back into the tank when i do water changes i would need it to pump 6 feet high okay
You do not need a pump to replenish water after a water change. A simple jug with a handle will be much simpler and less fuss. I would not consider a pump unless a much larger tank where the water amount is much more labour intensive.

now i plan on putting 2 power heads what do i need and which ones do u recomend and where do i put them"?
What do you currently have for water flow and what are you using for filtration aside from the LR?

im gonna purchase my protein skimmer this week i think the berlin classic turbo
Before you purchase a skimmer you should be sure how you can integrate it into your set up. The Berlin is a good skimmer but will you be needed an in-sump skimmer model or in-line?

if i wanan do anemoes? do i need better lighting?
What lighting do you have now? As I said in a different post, your tank is at least a year young before you should consider the addition of an anemone. Don't be in a hurry, your tank is still cycling and there is lots of time yet. Make sure you research the many different types of light dependant reef animals before you decide on lighting. It is rather pricey and only something you want to do once.

Cheers
Steve

The Eheim 1212 has a max output of 170ish GPH so two would add just under 4x tank rotation. Before it can be determined if that's the best option for PH's it would help to know more about what is moving water in/on the tank now and any planned additions... Most likely these will not be enough.

Cheers
Steve

okay i undertsand about the lgihting deal and the water changes i have a sump 2 oceanic okay i have room to put a insump skimmer im sure i have nothing moving the water besides the water that is getting pumped back in the tank it moves the water a little

okay then what do u recomend i have a sump 2 oceanic and the return pump is the only momement i have of water

What is the GPH of your return pump after head calculation?

For that size tank and being in-sump, you will probabley have more success with a >>Euroreef<< type skimmer. Much easier to use and less fuss overall. Other may have good suggestions as well.

Cheers
Steve

I have moved and merged your posts as they are more relavent to this forum and each other.

So without knowing your head calculation, let's go with a standard 6' head and assume the GPH from the return pump is about 750 GPH. To bring the total GPH up to a better standard for a reef tank you should look into either more than two PH's or stronger ones to reduce the amount of equipment in the tank. You would probabley be better going with a Maxi jet 900 or 1200. It will really depend on the types on animals you will end up keeping as some prefer more flow than others. Either way, your total GPH (water movement) should be closer to a minimum of 1000 GPH excluding the skimmer pump.

Cheers
Steve

okay im not reaaly planning on doing a reef tank but im going to do inverts and whatever corals or stuff i can do with my regular lighting like cucmbers and apples i think so whaich power heads and how many and placed where? whats head calculation?

The maxi jet 1200 is actually 295 GPH each not 1200, it's just a model reference. With the 2x295 and the MAG your total GPH will be approx. 1340 which will give you about 15x GPH total for the tank and is a good amount.

The wavemaker is up to you and again would depend on the corals you kept and the positioning of the PH's

Cheers
Steve

okay so im gonna get those 2 power heads im not really doing corals bc im not upgrading my lighting

Back
Top Bottom