Power Head placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HappyHooligan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 sweeping power heads in my 90g fowler. 1 is placed at the surface and the other on the opposite side of the tank flowing thru the middle. Should I move the mid-level head to the top as well?

Mine are on the side walls toward the back, upper third. Pointed toward the front glass center so the flow criss crosses there. My return is pointed straight into the middle of that X. The swirls in my sand show that the turbulence reaches far and wide.

I would have one pointed up slightly for some good surface aggitation. That will cause some good aeration.

Mine are on the back, pointed toward the middle (where my filter intake is) and upward for surface ripple.

I've got three. Two big Koralias pushing about 1000GPH and one maxijet on a wavemaker. The koralias are on the left and right sides of the tank. Both are positioned to push upwards a bit and along the glass. Because they push a lot of water I didn't want them pointed at each other. The maxijet is in the middle of the back wall and points slightly down and towards the front glass. This helps keep my open brain free of the sand that the pistol shrimp keeps moving out of his burrow.

Mine i similar to that of the Captains. I have two PH's placed in the back, near the top, and they make a criss cross shape as the flow hits the front glass. I have pretty good flow just about everywhere, including behind my aquascape where a lot of things would accumulate if my tank didn't have good flow. I'm not sure what it is, but having the powerheads intersect, and pointed towards the front glass just makes for better turnover rates.

Also seems to keep the front glass cleaner. Once I pointed them toward the front glass it stays pretty much crystal clear

Back
Top Bottom