Power outage help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seank0187

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm experiencing a power outage. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to keep my cichlids alive? I've never had to deal with this.

African Cichlids are my drug

I'm experiencing a power outage. Does anyone have any advice on what to do to keep my cichlids alive? I've never had to deal with this.

If it's just a few hours your fish will be ok. If it stays out for a while, you'll want to get a battery powered air pump to keep the oxygen levels up and keep the temperature lower if possible as colder water holds oxygen better. I'd also cut back on feeding until your power comes back on to keep ammonia/nitrate levels down. If it's pretty warm where u are and the power stays out for a while, you can always change out some water every once in a while and add some slightly colder water.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Make a sponge filter from king pf diy and run it on the battery airpump. Take out the filter media (except carbon if you use it) and lay the media on the sponge filter to keep everything alive. You should also run the sponge filter constantly so you always have a seeded filter.

Watch this

Yes thanks for all the advice. I was able to make to wal mart and got some minnow air pumps it was my only option lol. No lfs or anything open it was like 3 in the morning. I live in Az. My cichlids are doing fine. We had a really bad monsoon come through last night.

if your water is working do daily or more water changes it will stop the ammonia and nitrates and nitrites from building up and keep the water cooler and add oxygen to the water
if you have a hob you can pour water from the tank thru it every few hours to keep the bacteria alive
I lost all my fish this winter to a week long power outage but it was the freezing temps that killed my fish

Back
Top Bottom