Power Outage!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inevitable_101

Aquarium Advice Activist
So now I have my 1st power outage and am worried about the tank.Is there anything that I should worry about during an outage?Tank temp is at 79 degrees and I am hoping this outage doesnt last long.:(

Flow is your biggest concern right now. As long as your temp doesn't drop you need to keep the water moving in the tank to keep the 02 level up.

Wait a minute...how are you online if your power is out?

Last edited:
Depending on what kind of powerhead you have you may be able to use an inverter and a car batter to keep flow in the tank. I have tunze Nanostreams in my tank they use about 7w each and I am able to run them off a single car batter when I lose power.

If you don't have that as an option you can put a wooden spoon in a cordless drill and stir the water, or you can take a bucket of water out of your sump and pour it into the main tank and let if flow through the system. Repeat the process a few times an hour to keep the surface broken up and O2 in the system.

Also... get some comforters or blankets, or whatever YOU aren't using to stay warm (!) and wrap up the tank in it. Cover the top, but leave an opening for whatever you do to keep things agitated. Insulating the tank will go a long way to keep your water temp up.

If you have a gas stove you can add heated water (a little bit at a time) to keep the temp up while monitoring the rise. Not boiling mind you, and I would add it to your sump so the heat has time to spread away from antthing living.

Power was back up in the middle of the night.Luckily living in socal my temp stayed 79-80 degrees all night without needing any help.Everything is back to normal.Thanks everyone for their help..Thanks

That's good to know, I guess the outage was only in your area in LA :) btw did you find me in Yelp already inevitable? :)

All reefers should consider a generator at some point. I realize they are very expensive, but add up what you have in your tank and ask yourself is it worth it? Most of the time the answer is yes.

Back
Top Bottom