Power outtage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Not sure if this is a repetitive question, but in the case of having no power.. What would you do about your fishtanks/recommend to others to do?

During storms we have a generator but if the power just goes out for the day or two, it wouldn't be brought out. My power just flickered on and off which sparked the question!

I have a couple power inverters...it's not much but it can run stuff short term.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Id be most nervous about the heat of my tank dropping to room temp id have to say. Ive seen battery powered air pumps around recently. Deff seem helpful

A 20 degree fall wouldn't be drastic on the fish? It's a disus grow out tank, but normally its closer to 85.

oh ok we're talking discus, whole different ball game..they are very fragile. And a drop from 78 to say 68 slowly would not kill your fish no..discus on the other hand need very stable water. If you have a generator I would absolutely use it. If not you can float containers or water bottles filled with hot water like I said earlier

A heater died on the other discus tank i have and once i noticed it was around 72 degrees... Horrifying. From probably 10pm-4pm the next day. All were well but id rather never experience that again!

That would be a good idea! As long as the water heater works with no power. If not you'd find me boiling water on the bbq to keep my fish alive ?

exactly you can use the bbq or if you have a gas stove. Wrap the tank also, it will keep the heat in

I lost power here for a week during hurricane sandy. I didn't lose any fish:p I did have a generator for the first part of the week, but all the gas stations ran out of gas.

Back
Top Bottom