Powerhead for 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to purchase a powerhead for my presently set up 55gal tank. It's going to house mbuna why size powerhead should i get what's a good gallon per hour rate

Colwell said:
Looking to purchase a powerhead for my presently set up 55gal tank. It's going to house mbuna why size powerhead should i get what's a good gallon per hour rate

I've only used the koralia hydor, but I've been happy with it (despite a recent detachment/sand storm)

Here is the back of the box that shows the appropriate sizing:

image-1862730752.jpg

It sounds like about 550 GPH would be ideal for a 55gallon.

I use the 1400 with my 180 gallon and it gets the job done.

I use the 750 on my 55. I figured I couldn't have to much circulation.

For the most part, it's not a problem having too much circulation. As long as it isn't so powerful that it stirs the sand and the fish you keep don't come from a place with little to no current.

Thanks for the responses from what I have heard about 750 gph is ideal but have also heard you want roughly 25-30 times your tank size in water movement and hour which would be like 1,600gph that seems like a little much though

I'm assuming you would want more for a salt water setup so makes sense I suppose

My 55 is a Malawi set up, and they seem to enjoy it, plus it helps the filter out by sweeping debris off the bottom so it can be picked up by the filter.

My 55 is a Malawi set up, and they seem to enjoy it, plus it helps the filter out by sweeping debris off the bottom so it can be picked up by the filter.

I'm using 2x 750s in the 75g. One is pointing at the top-mid surface and one is at a low-mid creating a circular current motion. I turn them on twice daily for a couple hours. Like mentioned above, they do a great job sweeping debris from rocks, substrate etc.. plus my cichlids love swimming into the current.

For a 55g I'd still use 2x 750s.

I used a 500 gph power head in my 40g and it was perfect. I think a 750 gph ph would be good

Back
Top Bottom