Powerhead placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be tough to tell just by looking at a static picture. Watch your coral as you begin to add, and adjust accordingly. The key is creating turbulent flow and making sure you have no dead spots. Often effective is placing both powerheads about 1/3 down the glass aimed directly at each other from opposite sides. This creates really chaotic flow as each flow from each powerhead smash into each other. Putting the one on the left so low could also move your sand around a bit over time, and also makes it so you don't have any low flow areas on the bottom of the tank, which is often desired in combination with lower light for soft corals like mushrooms and zoas.

Ok thanks. I'm getting my corals today so I have to see if the corals like the flow

Excellent. Let us know how it goes. Here is a pic showing how my powerheads are placed in a similarly shaped tank - has worked great...

Got zoanthids and a candy cane coral. Zoanthids opened up but I don't think the candy cane opened

Very nice. Just keep an eye on them and see how they do over the next 24 hours. It can take days or even a week or more for corals to acclimate to a new system.

Back
Top Bottom