Powerhead placement??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdefino

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple of Powerheads and wasn't sure if they should point at the LR, surface, into the coners....where??? I heard if they point at the surface it's good for gas exchange (whatever that is).

thanks

I have mine positioned at the top of my tank. One in each back corner and one on the back middle. the two on the corners shoot toward the middle and front of the tank. You do want a small water ripple on the water line to break up the surface of the water.

You definaly dont want it pointed at the substrate. The idea is to not have anything in a direct jet stream and have everything in a random current. How do you do that? Well ou start with some simple beginning posiions like the back corners blowing toward the middle front with the PH's blowing one over the other. THen maybe one or two shotting along the back of the tank at differnt levels or one shooting up toward the other side and oen shooting slightly down toward the opposite side.

The idea and goal is good overall flow thats basicly random in direction.

To even get more random, I use the Red Sea Wavemaster Pro. It alternatley turns up to 4 PHs on and off. Has a feeding cyle (10 minutes, all off), and a nite time, more gentle flow.

Back
Top Bottom