powerhead placing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evman333

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
where is the best place to place powerheads
i have two, one that rotates and one that doesnt
29 g tank

well I would, personally, put the rotating head near the surface, pointing the center of the rotation towards the front of the tank. and the second one I would put on the side of the tank probably midway down. but exact placement will depend some on your LR aquascaping. What power are these PH? any thing else in your tank thats moving water? (sump return, skimmer, filter etc?)

I don't think the rock would mind but any livestock on it might not be too impressed... actually I'd imagine it would be beneficial to filtration if you could direct the flow at the rock but it's not really feasible if you have corals on it.

TygGer said:
Is it correct that powerheads should not be aimed directly at LR?
It helps keep the rock clean and spread coralline better but I agree with Atari. An alternative method is point or angle the powerhead towards the glass so it "rebounds" back at the rock surfaces. This will difuse the flow and accomplish the same goal. Corals will get a less luminar flow and the rock will get a helping hand as well. You can also aim the powerheads so they "X" streams giving the flow a more choatic rhythm.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom