PPS-Pro vs EI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F.Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
As the title says I want to know the main differences (in efficiency) between these two methods.
I myself am dosing EI at the moment. But when I researched PPS, I noticed that it has one extra component to it's macro solution: K2SO4..
Why is this the case? I might think giving PPS a chance since my anubias is yellowing a bit and I think this is due to a lack of potassium..
Also I read on the website of GLA that the PPS method does not require PWC's (unlike EI). This seems a bit odd to me...
Planted tank experts, unite!

Sent per three-eyed raven..

They both do the same thing tbh, but have different approaches.

Ei is a brute force approach. You make sure the planrs mever run outbof nutrients. Irs very effective, but uses a lot of ferts when compared to pps pro. I would estimate 2x to 3x the ferts.

Pps pro is more finesse. You are providing the smallest amount of nutrients possible daily.

They are both great systems and tbh you should be doing weekly water changes regardless of your dosing regimen. If you think youre currently missing porassium then just add some :)

Oh ok! Thanks for the quick response Mebbid!
With which component should I up my Potassium? KNO3 or KH2PO4? Sorry I'm a chemistry noob haha! Also how many grams would you up it to?
Currently dosing 15g KNO3, 5.8g KH2PO4 and 37g MgSO4 in a 500ml macro solution.. Dosing 10ml of this on friday, sunday and tuesday.
I dose my micro on saturday and monday.
Maybe I should up my schedule and dose on wednessday and thursday as well?

Well, keep in mind that the symbol for potassium is k. Youre already dosing potassium with 2 different sources.

If you increase the kno3 you will be dumping more nitrate into your tank (no3) or kh2po4 will be adding more phosphate (po4)

I would add the potassium sulfate (k2so4) as it wont have a detrimental effect like the other two would have. Also, stop adding the kno3, it isnt necessary.

How would KNO3 not be useful? The main macro components are NPK right? I don't see why I should stop dosing the N?
Perhaps you meant to stop dosing MgSO4?

Nope, i definitely mean kno3. Kno3 is potassium nitrate. 99% of planted tanks dont require additional nitrate (the N in npk)

Back
Top Bottom