Pre buy/setup filter questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melisphillips

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to know what people suggest for a filtration system for me. I want a 30g tank (that is as big as I can go), fish only (maybe inverts in the far future). My idea is a canister filter and a protein skimmer and maybe live sand??? Please write and give me all of your opinions. I would like to see many different ideas so I can learn more. Thanks!

A canister would work in this type system. If you can do it without breaking the bank, a FOwLR (fish only with live rock)tank might prove easier to maintain. You'll need some decent lighting and 30-45lbs of LR. If you can do it that way, all you'll need in the way of filtration is a good skimmer. The LR will serve as your biofilter and the LS will help with it also. You might want to consider a DSB (deep sand bed) too as these, once they mature, will control your nitrate levels.
Logan J

Got to agree with LoganJ about the LR and DSB as well as a GOOD skimmer, this will serve well in bio filtration. If you are as concerned as I am about filtration though, you can also add a hang on filter to assist in filtration. I use a prism skimmer and a skilter filter on mine. It just makes me feel better and I like the sound of the constant moving water.

I'll third the LR and LS as your biofilter with a good skimmer. If your not wanting to do LR (although I highly recommend it...more natural and less stressfull on the fish), a good alternate choice ofr a thirty might be a CPR backpak, skimmer biofilter combo.

For a 30g the cheapest (decent) would be the Prism by Red Sea, next would be the CPR bakpak (better...with or without the biomedia), next would be the Aqua-C Remora. All three are HOB models if you plan on going with a sump, well the field just broadens from there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom