Pre-empting Dropsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shetland James

Aquarium Advice Freak
Since I re-started keeping fish last year, I've lost 3 fish to dropsy, which is about 3 more fish than I've ever lost in my time of keeping fish!

This time, it was 2 Cobalt Tetras then just this morning my beautiful Betta succummed to it.

Is there any way to pre-empt or reduce the risk of dropsy other than just keeping the tank clean and the water fresh?

Hi I don't have an answer and am sorry for the loss of your fish.

I am curious about something. You say you've never lost fish before and now you've lost 3. Do you use carbon in your filter? I am new but have been doing some reading on the pros and cons of chemical filtration. Most people here aren't using it and I do. Mainly because after almost 23 years in the Navy, I don't want my house smelling like the bottoms of ships I had to clean.
Aside from that. Just wanted to know more first hand information.

Well I haven't lost much fish in the past (bit of a hyperbole to say none!).

I used to have carbon in the filter but now I don't.

Then perhaps using carbon may help with long term. An article I read somewhere said chemical filtration helps prevent hole in the head and several health problems. It's associated with old tank syndrome. Like I say, not trying to stir the pot, but it is a valid thought.

Sorry again and thanks for tthe information

I think that it would be difficult to get an accurate measure on the effects of carbon placed in the filter, because there are so many factors to take into account:

Water quality/parameters/issues
Filter input/output
Filter reliability
Heater effectivity
Heater reliability
Feed
Kind of Fish
Tank mates
Unforseen circumstances

etc.

Would be good to know, of course. Come to think of it my Balloon also suffered some sort of thing akin to dropsy, he just went a bit mental and started kidding the heater vertically. Carbon might be an opnion.

What is your tank size and what type filters do you use?

4 x 2 x 1.5 = ~50gal

I'm using two kinda of filters, actually. This tank is an amagamation of two other tanks (traded up) and so it has 2 filters and 2 heaters. Couldn't tell you the brands of any. Unfortunetly, the one which I paid £24 for doesn't seem to work to full capacity, even after a hearty cleaning.

I have another 20 gal tank with a sponge filter but only because I'm conditioning for a breeding tank for bubble-nesters.

That may be the problem. If nitrates get over 20, then any underlying issues may manifest. I recommend checking the nitrates and doing a couple of big PWC'S. I think that may be the case if your nitrates are in fact high. Anyway a pwc wont hurt anything either. What kind of testing kit do you have available?

I am not familiar with this particular kit. However looking at the link, I don't see in the ad a test for nitrAtes. I see nitrItes however, does the kit have a nitrate test kit?

Yeah, it's a weekly job. I'm worried that one of my filters is operating abnormally slow, it just doesn't seem to put much out. I even tried putting a smaller sponge inside it and it doesn't seem to have changed much. Strangly, it seems to work better if I raise some of the intake section above water level.

As with most diseases, water quality is a big factor. I attribute my success to clean water. I see these threads all the time on sick fish, yet I have been so lucky not to encounter any of these issues (other than columnaris back when I first started, but that came with new arrivals). I do at least 50% pwc's weekly. I have never run carbon. Now, is that the reason? I don't know. Do I think that's a big factor? Most certainly.

mfdrookie516 said:
As with most diseases, water quality is a big factor. I attribute my success to clean water. I see these threads all the time on sick fish, yet I have been so lucky not to encounter any of these issues (other than columnaris back when I first started, but that came with new arrivals). I do at least 50% pwc's weekly. I have never run carbon. Now, is that the reason? I don't know. Do I think that's a big factor? Most certainly.

There is so many schhols of.thought on the carbon issue. I am going to take mine out in a week or so, I already bought and installed it so I may as well get my moneys worth. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it greatly. Maybe you can help with this Rookie

However does his issue to you sound like a nitrate problem? I opened the link for the test kit the OP is using and didn't see a nitrate test. I saw nitrite though. I am not familiar with that kit, just from the pic and description provided

I see.. but nitrites and nitrAtes are different tests. NitrAtes are the by product of the bacteria that eat nitrites. Nitrates are less harmful to fish than nitrites, but if the concentrations are high enough ( over 40) a plethora of health issues can happen. Google the nitrogen cycle and there are sticky pages on the getting started forum that can explain it in more detail. Bottom line is you need to test for nitrates. Keep doing the water changes and get an API freshwater master test kit. Most of us use it and it is the most accurate on the market, IMO

Back
Top Bottom