Predator Tank, part Deuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xTylerLairx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So....for those who have been following the riveting adventures of Tyler's imaginary predator tank I have made my decision on my main fish, and the winner is!

The Red Wolf Fish

Now I need information, and you will give to to me, kkthx :D

I was wondering what the proper tank size would be for this, I am hoping it is around a 29 gallon, since it is going to have one or two tank makes. I was thinking a pleco, to clean, and perhaps a tank make, of a smaller grandeur. Maybe a Budis Budis? what are the options of tank makes for these little buggers?

Thanks in advance
Tyler

I was wondering what the proper tank size would be for this, I am hoping it is around a 29 gallon, since it is going to have one or two tank makes. I was thinking a pleco, to clean, and perhaps a tank make, of a smaller grandeur. Maybe a Budis Budis? what are the options of tank makes for these little buggers?

Thanks in advance
Tyler

umm... Pretty much no, no and no.

I want a red wolf fish and i can barely find info on them but i can tell you a 29g is way to small for sure. I am not sure about the budis budis being a good tank mate but as long as you give it places like driftwood to lurk and hunt you should be good. Also the pleco should be a fine tank mate but that fish can get HUGE and will not fit in a 29g eventually. They are also a abnormally huge bioload (they crap alot). You could go with a pleco i am guessing but go with something like a brittlenose and let it grow (wait for someone else chime in on this 1).

How big do you think a minimum for a red wolf would be? and I was thinking a Gold spot pleco or a snowball pleco for it. but that would be to alleviate algae issues, but without over feeding and too much light, that wont be an issue, perhaps I wont need it. Incase you were wodnering this tank is gonna be my pride and joy

So....for those who have been following the riveting adventures of Tyler's imaginary predator tank I have made my decision on my main fish, and the winner is!

The Red Wolf Fish

Now I need information, and you will give to to me, kkthx :D

Thanks in advance
Tyler

Ok.. a 29 gallon will not cut it. Keep in mind these guys will get to 10" TL so he would be pretty cramped. I consider an absolute minimum to be a 40g breeder, even that is to small but you could make it work if aquascaped correctly. I keep mine in a 50g breeder and (48L x 18w x 13h) and I'm considering having a 60L x 24w x 17h built for him. He is that active.

For tankmates.. stick with a bichir and catfish. The budis budis might work and this something I've been wanting to try, however, keep in mind butis butis will only reach 5", and they grow relatively slow from what I have heard. It "could" make an easy meal for the Red Wolf. Since you are just starting off with one, I would go with the Red Wolf and a catfish for a cleanup crew. A pleco as a clean up crew is a bad idea. They cause more bioload then they are worth, especially in a small tank.

Thanks Mudfrog, I was realling aiming this thread towards you, but I forgot your account name. what kind of Cat would go well with my little buddy?

Ya, mudfrog is my predetor fish encyclopidia. I just don't have the space to do a REAL predetor tank. Another fish you might want to consider is african butterfly fish. I have owned them and they are agreat oddball (my speciality) and IMO are predetors. Also a Leapord ctenopoma is another great oddball/predetor. But neither will be good tank mates for a red wolf fish. Even though a leapord ctenopoma is better in a 55 gallon atleast. Figures i would throw out more choices.

Haha, I was actually looking at other predators but the butterfly fish creeps me out! haha, i am pretty sure i like the idea of a wolf, but what is the difference between a highfin red wolf and a rainbow wolf?

Thanks Mudfrog, I was realling aiming this thread towards you, but I forgot your account name. what kind of Cat would go well with my little buddy?

Any type of catfish that will either hide majority of the time or be large enough not to get eaten. I use Raphaels. I'm in search of some Jaguar cats but these are hard to find.

Ya, mudfrog is my predetor fish encyclopidia. I just don't have the space to do a REAL predetor tank. Another fish you might want to consider is african butterfly fish. I have owned them and they are agreat oddball (my speciality) and IMO are predetors. Also a Leapord ctenopoma is another great oddball/predetor. But neither will be good tank mates for a red wolf fish. Even though a leapord ctenopoma is better in a 55 gallon atleast. Figures i would throw out more choices.

Butterfly fish are predators although they won't work with a wolf.. I tried two with mine and they did not last the night..

If you can find a leapord ctenopoma that is large enough it would most likely work, my LFS had one yesterday around 5"+, I wasn't about to pay $60 for it though :rolleyes:

Haha, I was actually looking at other predators but the butterfly fish creeps me out! haha, i am pretty sure i like the idea of a wolf, but what is the difference between a highfin red wolf and a rainbow wolf?

There really isn't a difference as the common name is used loosely. There are two types of Red Wolves though. Erythrinus erythinrus and Erythinus Sp. Peru. The difference is the coloring. The Ery ery (what I have) has more orange on the fins and less on the body, the Ery Sp Peru has more orange on the body and less on the fins. Both get to about the same size and have the same characteristics.

I have 2 Raphs in my other tank, I dunno if I want them around in my other one. I need somone I am gonna see more, haha. Do the Jaguars need to be kept in groups, or can they solo? I am good friends with the owner of our LFS and he orders specifically for me

I have 2 Raphs in my other tank, I dunno if I want them around in my other one. I need somone I am gonna see more, haha. Do the Jaguars need to be kept in groups, or can they solo? I am good friends with the owner of our LFS and he orders specifically for me

I believe Jags have to be imported.. groups of 2 or more maybe.. and they hide all the time as well.

Try a Synodontis eupterus then.. Featherfin Catfish. They will get large enough, can hold their own in a fight and typically hide but not too much.

Thanks Mud! You ARE a life saver, any other tips for having myself an active wolf? I am currently craigslistshopping for a tank for my little buddy

Just give him a cave, dim lights, fake or real plants (some floating), a soft substrate (sand does good). Overall they aren't real difficult to keep :)

I was thinking about getting a night light for him, this is gonna be HIS tank. I was also considering peagravel or river rocks for the bottom because I have tons left over from my 125.

But, sadly, it's time for class. ill be on later for more advice!

H'okay so. I have decided on a Suncat(Eclipse Cat) and I got an amazing deal on one(so cheap from my LFS I can't even say) but NOONE around here has heard of a Wolffish. I decided on a rainbow, because I like the color orange. I have 2 of our LFS owners calling their dealers tomorrow, but does anyone know the success rate of purchasing online?

Suncat's are great. I had 2 that I grew to just over 6" and ended up selling them. I really regret it. I'm probably going to get more in the future.

I highly doubt your LFS will be able to get an Ery ery. Typically you have to purchase them from an online importer. Sharkaquarium.com currently has them in stock (or did). I've had great success buying fish online, that's how I buy all of my "main" fish. Shipping is expensive but it's a trade off. Might not be too bad since Shark aquarium is in NJ and your in PA.

Wow, these guys have a good selection. Are they any good?

It depends on if you catch them on a good day.. They are a good seller but it can be difficult to get a reply through email sometimes. Never tried the phone so that's probably the route to take.

Shark aquarium doesnt look too bad, the other one has a minimum of $40 per order, lol, I don't want anything else but my dang fish! stupid internet

It depends on if you catch them on a good day.. They are a good seller but it can be difficult to get a reply through email sometimes. Never tried the phone so that's probably the route to take.

Well i don't have the space to do my predetor tank i want, but i want to make my community tank and i see Albino neon tetras on there, i now want a school of albino neon tetras. Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom