Predatory/Aggressive fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I have recently gotten rid of my community fish (giant danios, green severums, Jack Dempsey, Salvini Cichlid, Blue channel cat, 2 clown loaches, 3 tiger loaches, 2 african featherfin cats, and my pacu) to my uncles 500 gallon fish tank. Now I'm left with a sand substrate 3 pieces of driftwood, and a bunch of rocks and was wondering what predatory/aggressive fish i can house in my 40 breeder whether it be single species or can be housed with other aggressive tank mates.

Dwarf pike cichlids, red eye puffers, figure 8 puffers (brackish), african ctenopoma, firemouth cichlids....

Some people at MFK said a gulper cat can be in a 40 gal breeder. Those fish are crazy. A Congo puffer would have enough space in a 40 gal. Just have deep enough sand for it to burrow. You could also have a school of bucktooth tetras.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dwarf pike cichlids, red eye puffers, figure 8 puffers (brackish), african ctenopoma, firemouth cichlids....

I've already kept dwarf pike cichlids, firemouths, and I have a figure 8 puffer right now in my salt water tank and he's thriving well but I have never seen the red eyed puffers or african ctenopoma kept at any of my lfs I was looking for something more unique than just puffers or cichlids

Some people at MFK said a gulper cat can be in a 40 gal breeder. Those fish are crazy. A Congo puffer would have enough space in a 40 gal. Just have deep enough sand for it to burrow. You could also have a school of bucktooth tetras.

I have only seen Congo puffers and gulper cats only once at my lfs and ever since then i haven't seen them again and I've never seen bucktooth tetras either at my lfs they have every other tetra but those

My LFS will order specific fish if you ask them. Will yours/

My LFS will order specific fish if you ask them. Will yours/

my lfs won't special order for me because it wouldn't be profitable for them unless the buy it in bulk and my other lfs said they would but i have to pay more than i would if it was already in stock at the store, ie if i buy a gar after special ordering it i would be paying $25 instead of $12

May as well order online, then. At least this way, they'll be at your door. I really, really recommend waiting to order anything until after New Years.

my lfs won't special order for me because it wouldn't be profitable for them unless the buy it in bulk and my other lfs said they would but i have to pay more than i would if it was already in stock at the store, ie if i buy a gar after special ordering it i would be paying $25 instead of $12

That's weird. If tmyou just wait until they are bringing in their next order, they SHOULD Even charge you LESS than retail, especially if you can pick them up in bag when they come in. I sometimes give people better deals if they pick up in bag, where I work, but even if they don't, the less time they spend in the store(ie day after delivery)and not being properly quarantined, you definitely shouldn't be paying MORE.
Have to ask- ALL those fish you named were in a 40 gallon??? They must've been crammed in there pretty tight!

Sent from my LG-H831 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom