Predatory blackworms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cactuspixie

Aquarium Advice Addict
I thought worms ate decaying matter?

I came home with $7 worth of blackworms, and decided to dump them into what was previously my shrimp tank. The only living things in there were mts which I was allowing to breed in preparation for my new tank.
So, fast forward 24 hours, and I notice that not only is the water no longer crystal clear, but it stinks! On closer inspection, I discovered the worms have killed all but one of my snails! (He was at the waterline, no doubt praying for a miracle!

Ewwwwww! :banghead:

I don't think they are predatory. Most likely they alot of them died and caused a huge ammonia spike. When you add bloodworms to a tank, generally there will be a large die off. Its why people dont generally add more than a couple in an existing tank.

I don't think they are predatory. Most likely they alot of them died and caused a huge ammonia spike. When you add bloodworms to a tank, generally there will be a large die off. Its why people dont generally add more than a couple in an existing tank.

These were black worms, and they seemed to swarm the snails, pulling them out of their shells. I normally keep them in the fridge, as that's where the LFS keeps them, but I got these at a pet shop, and they had them in tropical tanks (on their own)

Live black worms a very dirty, smelly worms and foul the water quickly. I keep mine in the fridge change their water everyday and rinse them about 4-5 times before I put them in a tank. I believe the worms brought something into the tank that wiped out then snails or died and fouled the water.

The "predatory" behavior you say may have just been them eating the already dead/dying snails.

I've tried them with mixed results, I think I'll just stick to frozen blood worms.

Live black worms a very dirty, smelly worms and foul the water quickly. I keep mine in the fridge change their water everyday and rinse them about 4-5 times before I put them in a tank. I believe the worms brought something into the tank that wiped out then snails or died and fouled the water.

The "predatory" behavior you say may have just been them eating the already dead/dying snails.

I've tried them with mixed results, I think I'll just stick to frozen blood worms.

Now that they are in the tank on their own, the water is staying clear and clean. They're funny, because for the most part, they are under the sand with just the tail (head??) sticking up swaying in the current. I'm going to try giving them just a tiny bit of fish food every other day.

Back
Top Bottom