Predrilledvs.overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgc0286

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been shopping for aquariums for a few weeks now. I still dont fully understand how the predrilled tanks work. What is the difference between that and just buying an overflow and not drilling a tank?
I just want to know if it is worth it to buy one that is already drilled or just buy an overflow. Where do they even drill the holes? Any feedback will help.
Thanks.

A predrilled ReefReady tank is the way to go. The "overflow box" is built in and the holes are drilled in the bottom of the tank for the drain line and return line. Plumbing and setting up a sump is alot easier with a predrilled tank. Your drain line and return lines are already under the stand waiting to be hooked up.

As usual I couldn't agree more with Larry. Get a pre-drilled tank. Most already have the overflow boxes and plumbing.

Some of the other differences: With an overflow you typically have to work harder to get the flow the first time because you have to empty the air out of the tube from the tank to the outside overflow (using a tube). Sometimes this also gets air pockets that limit the flow. Also, with an overflow you can't put the tank all the way against the wall, you have to leave room for the overflow.

I've never had a pre-drilled, only and overflow and I personally didn't like it. I ended up getting rid of that and went with a canister filter.

Back
Top Bottom