preformed vs. flexible liners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suprzman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everybody, just doing research on pond stuff before i get started. in general, is preformed better or is flexible better? the reason i ask is that preform seems to be a much easier system to set up (in that there is a shape that is already made, so it seems to be less work)
the problem is that its so expensive. anybody know of any place online or around nj that i can get preformed liners, for a little less than the 10 times they cost compared to flexible liners?
thanks in advance for any advice.
z.

Preformed is limited to size and shape, and it is expensive....if you are serious about a water garden, I suggest a good-quality flexible liner, which are generally more durable than pre-forms, too.

I agree with toirtis. The flexible is harder to punch holes in because it is so rubbery (if you get a good one) & you can be soo much more creative. Add a bog garden, do later expansions, change the depth of a shelf, etc.

That said I am using a small preformed behind my large pond to grow a cattail vegetative filter & to provide a more wetland like atmosphere. It was a cinch to install. I guess my biggest complaint would be that as a wildlife attractor there is no shallow enough places for birds to bathe. But it really depends on what you want it for.

P.S. Sometimes you can get good deals on last years merchandice which is usually fine.

Definitely flexible.
that preform seems to be a much easier system to set up (in that there is a shape that is already made, so it seems to be less work)

seems is the key word here. It's really just as much, if not more, work than a flexible liner. The reason is the with a preformed, you must dig the hole for it to match the shape exactly. If there are any sizable air pockets between a preformed pond and the hole you've dug, the plastic can warp and/or even crack! Not a good thing. Preforms need even support all the way around to avoid the above scenario. Obviously, a flexible liner molds itself to the shape of the hole you dig, and gives you more options to make the pond the way you want it, shape, depth, planting ledges, etc.

That said, it's certainly up to you to decide.

So far as online preformed ponds, I don't know this for a 100% fact, but I'd bet the shipping charges would be very high for something the size, shape, and weight of a preformed pond.

I do know a couple folks who got Great Deals from Home Depot for preformed ponds by waiting till early fall and buying the display model, or just extra stock. That time of year they want the stuff gone, make room for snowblowers or whatever. Still, it takes good timing to get seasonal items like that at a substantial discount. (Me, I'm either too early, they don't want to make a deal, or too late, seasonal items all gone.)

Whatever you decide, feel free to come back and post, we'll help you out.

The only advantage I see with preform is they dont punture as easy, other than that I prefer flex.

yeah thats all definitely true. i suppose once you go larger than a certain (small) size, there is more disadvantage than advantage for the preformed ponds. thanks everybody for the info. as of now the plan is to go with flexible liner.

Back
Top Bottom