Preggo platy? HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheezeloverr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I'm new to this fish stuff and my platy has been swimming with the males as her tummy has been getting bigger. I can see a gravid spot and i think she is pregnant. HELP PLEASE!

Attachments

• image-3610949213.jpg
    image-3610949213.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 116
  • image-774899338.jpg
    image-774899338.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 111
Well I don't really know If she is pregnant or not. I need opinions. I moved her into a 1 gallon tank I had my betta in just incase.

Alright, if she is, how long do you think it could be until I see fry?

I had her with 2 males. What a dumb idea. They were following her around and fighting.... Over her probably. That's when she got bigger. So, I moved her into a different tank so they wouldn't fight.

My opinion I would get a bigger tank, like a 5 -10gallon. That way she isnt stressed out in a 1 gallon, Id think thats toooo small. and if she has her babies in the new tank they need room as well because she can can have MANY. like 10-30 I was told.
We just set up a 10 gallon last nigjt because a few of our platies are expecting so we can put them in the new tank until they have their babies then can go back into their 29 g tank.

I could try... Or maybe get a few more females so the males won't fight. Then when she's ready, I could get a breeder thing and put her in there when she's ready. I have a 10 gallon tank.

Yeah... I think I'll get 3 more females or something. I don't have much room in my tank. I just got it, too.

I have one male and four females. He went through his "hey im gonna chase you all day and make love to you" phase and now he just kinda hang out with them. If you have only one female it will exhaust her.

Okay. I have 2 Males. So I need, like, 3 more females? How long should it be until I can be expecting fry?

if you have 2 males you should have six females lol. To lighten the load i got four females but then my males went crazy and wouldn't stop fighting over them, eventually i had to give up one of the males.

i think it takes a couple months for fry to be born, but you'll know when they are ready. They get HUGE and will keep to themselves.

Wow. Lol. That's a lot... I have 4 neon tetras and 3 Platys... If I got 5 more females I would probably need to get another tank. I don't have very much space left.

Usually about 28 days until birth. I guess I need to go to petsmart soon. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom