Pregnant angel fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a fish that looks like this (this is off google) but it's belly is swollen like this what does it mean

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1445204651756.jpg
    1445204651756.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 519
This is my actual fish is it full of eggs?

Attachments

• 1445204745288.jpg
    1445204745288.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 158
It might be if so I would put it in a separate tank cause the can get kinda wild during mating and pregnancy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you don't have 2 Angels in there, then no she isn't (most likely; if she is a very new addition she could've been accidentally bred at the LFS) I assume its obvious but some people don't think obviously :)

Also, you will almost surely notice an aggressive note in her and her mate if she is breeding. Angels have some of the biggest attitude sways out of any fish.

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

Angelfish can never be pregnant. They are egglayers which means all reproduction is done outside the body. It wouldn't matter if this was a female and in the presence of males in another tank. It would have no effect on the fish's current condition. Make sure it is not bloat here: http://www.fishnet.org/sick-fish-chart.htm

Mr Technical here...

By pregnant I'm sure me and the OP mean "full if eggs which means bot pregnant because the babies are produced outside the body..."

If money cant buy happiness, that why do I need a job? I mean, I should be getting these fish free, since I don't have to pay for happy...

It might be if so I would put it in a separate tank cause the can get kinda wild during mating and pregnancy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you don't have 2 Angels in there, then no she isn't (most likely; if she is a very new addition she could've been accidentally bred at the LFS) I assume its obvious but some people don't think obviously :)

Also, you will almost surely notice an aggressive note in her and her mate if she is breeding. Angels have some of the biggest attitude sways out of any fish.

Mr Technical here...

By pregnant I'm sure me and the OP mean "full if eggs which means bot pregnant because the babies are produced outside the body..."

Not just being technical but look at your previous post as well as snailpufferguy's post. You both are inferring that other fish can have impregnated it or had something to do with the fish's condition. Nothing could be further from the truth. A sexually mature female Angelfish will fill with eggs even if she is in a tank by herself her entire life. No other fish matters. The term "Pregnant" is improper when it comes to this fish species. There was even a thread in the breeding forum about which fish can and cannot be "pregnant". When it comes to fish questions, proper terminology will better get proper answers. ;)(y)

Not just being technical but look at your previous post as well as snailpufferguy's post. You both are inferring that other fish can have impregnated it or had something to do with the fish's condition. Nothing could be further from the truth. A sexually mature female Angelfish will fill with eggs even if she is in a tank by herself her entire life. No other fish matters. The term "Pregnant" is improper when it comes to this fish species. There was even a thread in the breeding forum about which fish can and cannot be "pregnant". When it comes to fish questions, proper terminology will better get proper answers. ;)(y)

I guess she would get full of eggs either way. Didnt think of that...

:p

Thank you but that is what I meant. Full of eggs. Is it possible that she is full of eggs. and I do have another angel in the tank. It could be a male

Thank you but that is what I meant. Full of eggs. Is it possible that she is full of eggs. and I do have another angel in the tank. It could be a male

Unfortunately, the beginning stages of Bloat also look like a gravid female in Angelfish which was why I suggested you check out that page for other symptoms to rule out that it wasn't bloat. But YES, it's possible for the fish to be gravid (with eggs) (y)

Just so you know, just because you have a male and female Angelfish together does not mean they will automatically spawn. You need to watch their behaviors to see what they are doing. If you are interested in breeding them, there is an old thread in the breeding forum here titled "Wigglers at last!!!" which has just about everything you need to know about breeding and raising Angelfish by professional and hobbyist breeders. You might want to check it out. (y)

Thank you for your help

The swelling in the stomach went away and now it is flat again like a normal angel is that a good sign or a bad one

The swelling in the stomach went away and now it is flat again like a normal angel is that a good sign or a bad one

If you did not see them spawn or see a tube coming from her(?) vent when it was swollen, you can then assume it was either filled with food or bloated with Poo. Start making special notes on how the fish looks after a feed to see if it fills up like that again. It should happen immediately after feeding so if it comes a few days later, you may have a bloating issue to deal with.
Compressed fish like Angels and Discus are highly susceptible to bloat due to their body configuration so you need to see if the foods you are feeding are causing the bloat and if so, you need to change the food. (y)

Back
Top Bottom