Pregnant black molly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Picked up some new fish at the Lfs a couple weeks ago. From what I can tell I have a male and a female. The female has gotten fatter and I believe is pregnant. Should I get a seperate tank to put her in? A breeding net? She has neons, guppies, and a goldfish as tank mates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1426549637581.jpg
    1426549637581.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 96
You don't have to do anything special but you can put them in a breeder trap. Put her in the tank and just catch the fry as she drops and put them in a separate area to grow out.

you could set up a tank for her to give birth and the fry to grow up, and heavily plant your tank with live plants. and you shouldn't have goldfish with those other fish.

Goldfish is a cold water fish. And gets way bigger than the rest of your fish. I would rehome it.

Just do a separate tank for the fry. Heater, sponge filters, bare bottom. Regular PWC. Live plants never hurt such as hornwort.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

yea, listen to above post, and put live plants in the tank, the goldfish will be able to eat the neons an guppys in not to long, mine can.

Female is on the left male on the right. Think she's going to pop soon?

Attachments

• 1428032988681.jpg
    1428032988681.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 83
Female is on the left male on the right. Think she's going to pop soon?

Any day now. I have a guppy that has looked like that for a week. It's the waiting game.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Going to town today to get a tank for fry. Also will get a heater and see if they have food for fry. Will get some more plants for fry to hide in in case im not there when she has them. What else do I need?

What size tank should I get? Was thinking at least a 5 gal?

At least a 5g but 10g would be better and is pretty much se price.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

At least a 5g but 10g would be better and is pretty much se price.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

i would say the biggest tank you can afford, i had them in a 5 gallon, i had about 20 guppy babies and once they got to about 1/2 inches they stopped growing and started dying. they were producing hormones and that dwarfed the growth.

Still nothing from this fish. Starting to wonder if she isn't pregnant. She hasn't gotten much bigger but I haven't seen any babies.

Here's another picture from today. She's looking a little bigger but she'd been big forever!

Attachments

• 1429081997461.jpg
    1429081997461.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 84
She's still big as a house...

Attachments

• 1430002615279.jpg
    1430002615279.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 73
Your last picture won't load for me, but the rest did. Looks like its a balloon belly molly to me. Arched back, big gut. If she was pregnant, she should have gave birth by now.

She may be holding.

Fishobsessed7

3 tanks and counting! (6 if you count the bettas)

She's a black molly. She wasn't this big at all when I got her. I have pics of the male too if you want to see him. What would cause her to hold back?

See if you can see this one.

Attachments

• 1430031702072.jpg
    1430031702072.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 73
What would make her stress out? She's in a 10 gallon with the male and 7 neon tetras. I test the water all the time along with appropriate water changes and gravel cleaning. Maybe the male is bothering her?

Back
Top Bottom