Pregnant kuhli, what to do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DazF

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I just noticed that one of my kulies are pregnant :)

There isn't too much info online about what to do, other than that they are very difficult to breed in a tank...

I think the eggs will stick onto plants?
The problem is they are in my community tank...

Should i put the kuhlis in a breeder with some moss balls?

Or i could maybe try to find somewhere to buy a tank divider?

Alternatively i could put my betta in a breeder for a few days and put the kuhlies in my betta tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Are you certain the fish is full of eggs and not bloated? generally, when kuhlis do breed in captivity, it is away from human sight underneath decor or and under gravel filter. That is why you won't see much advice out there about it. I am not an expert on this, just throwing it out there that from what I I know, I would think your best best would be to offer secluded places for your fish and let them figure it out. Even if you do have a fish that has eggs, it is still unlikely that you will end up with offspring. Also, they don't internally fertilize. You need them to spawn. If you just put a fish into a breeding trap, you are keeping the males away and they cannot fertilize anything if the female does decide to lay her eggs, which she won't necessarily do at all, and especially not in a place where she doesn't feel comfortable. You coudl try moving them to the betta tank, but breeding kuholis is not all that easy and I doubt you will suddenly end up fry in just a few days. If you are serious about breeding them, I would go ahead and set up a breeding tank for them long term. without any tankmates. If you are just concerned about this one female, she is not actually pregnant. She may have developed eggs, but if she doesn't have a good place to put them she will just re absorb them or expel them out naturally without any issues. Up to you for what you would like to try.

Hey, thanks for getting back so quick :)

To be honest, my initial thought was that she was bloated, but it was just before feeding time that i noticed... she is literally twice as thick as all the others..

Trying to get a picture of her but she is hiding somewhere! Typical.

I Really would like to try, i have been thinking for a while to get another 10-15gal and start breeding some fish, I was just undecided on which one but my choice may have been made for me?

Until now I haven't bred anything other than guppies which don't really count?

Do you not think buying a tank separator could be a good short term solution? I have plenty of plants and hiding spots

Probably not. They breed so rarely in captivity anyways, I highly doubt you would much success with a divider. Plus, they are crazy good at wedging themselves into small spaces. Also, it depends on how big of a space you have in the first place and what tankmates to know if dividing ti would even be a good idea.

If you want to try and breed them, be aware it often doesn't work. So, don't get your hopes up. I would try and mimic their local water conditions as much as possible, keep the water extra clean, provide hiding places. Though, that is pretty general advice for breeding a lot of fish. Do a bunch of research so you know what you are getting into and the likelihood of it actually working.

Update- still cannot see any green eggs, maybe you were right and she was just bloated :/

Thats unfortunate :( now to think of which fish I can breed...
I was thinking of breeding my betta but it seems to be quite expensive and difficult...

Back
Top Bottom