Preparing to get yelled at... :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've had enough of my poor tank. It's terrible. I have a 20 gallon tank downstairs.. with 4 koi in it. 21" over all. And a sailfin pleco measuring 4 inches. Total of 25" in the 20 gallon tank. I'm not suuuuure if thats bad... but it seems like it is.

Anyway. My dad is kind of in charge of it.. but not really. No plants. the floor of the tank is only 1/2 covered in little pebbles.

It's in our living room so a lot of light comes in during the day, but there is no light, heater, pH measure thing, or anything. We do have a filter, I believe it is for 70 gallons? One of those kind that sucks in from a tube and pours over the top.

Can anyone point out the problems with this tank, and what should be done? Thanks. Go easy?

img3556pa6.jpg

I agree, Koi grow to be HUGE. Is it a winter tank until they can be put into an outdoor pond?

Those are some beautiful fish but as JD has stated and what you already know, the tank is just way to small for even one of the fish you have.

Your other immediate issue is your sailfin pleco. That species likes a bit more warmth than your tank will provide.

Since you mentioned it, how much light is hitting the tank during the day? You could be fighting algae all the time.

Sad to say, unless you have an outdoor pond or several 55 gal tanks, the fish will not be happy. I dislike advising folks to take their fish back from whence they came but you may need to do so.

The sailfin pleco, if that is indeed what it is, will get nearly 2 feet long. Tank is way too small.

The sailfin pleco is a tropical fish. Water temps should be between 23C - 28C or 73F - 82F. Needs a heater!

Koi are goldfish (coldwater, not tropical) and should not be kept with tropical. Each of those Koi would probably need 75+ gallons. That is EACH.

Just a few things I noticed. Off to work.

Give them to someone that can properly take care of them and meet their needs. Or see if your LFS will take them. Then do some research and get some much smaller fish. JMO.

I'll echo what others here have said. Koi is a pond fish, and needs more room than you can provide in even a large aquarium. I just wanted to add, in case your dad doesn't want to believe some random folks on a message board, here's what a reputable online fish dealer says:
Minimum pond size: 1000 gallons
Maximum size in aquarium: Up to 3 feet

And if you look up koi on http://fishprofiles.com/, it will say much the same. Thanks for doing the right thing.

Yeah... it's not a winter tank... Just a tank. :(

There is actually literally no algea in it. :?

Having that type of fish and the amount you have in there, you are going to have to do PWC's ALL the time to maintain your NO3's in check. If you are not monitoring your NO3 levels, you are probably slowly killing those fish.

I don't know much about Koi, but I can speak from experience on the Sailfin. The tank he's currently in is much to small. I bought a Sailfin Pleco in July of 2005 and he's just about quadrupled in size since then. He really does deserve a much better living arrangement as do the other fish. Keeping this many large fish in such a small space is just flirting with disaster. They will start dying off soon, especially since there's most likely temp swings as well as the normal parameters not being monitored. :(

If you want to keep smaller goldfish, the rocks (substrate) in the tank is perfectly acceptable. Alot of goldfish keepers go bare bottom to help keep the water clean.
I am betting the UV from the natural sunlight is keeping some forms of bacteria at bay so while your water looks clean, it really isn't with all those guys in there.
First and foremost you need to get a Freshwater Master Test Kit. They are anywhere from $20-$30. It's like shooting in the dark, you can't see where to aim if you don't know what your looking at. The kit will tell you what is going on with your water.
Then, following other's advice, you simply have to get a bigger tank(s) or find them new homes. The problem is, Koi have not been bred to be kept in small places. I have seen plenty that are BUT it really isn't fair. Even with perfect water conditions, they need more room.
I can see that you've named them all so I assume you are attatched to them. I totally understand that. I hope you can find them a better place and one where you can go visit them. No matter what happens, don't release them into a local pond or lake. Being brightly colored fish and hand raised, they will not survive very long.
If you plan to keep the small tank, then consider one or two small fancy goldfish or go with some tropicals. I have goldies and am partial to them myself BUT there are some very nice tropical fish.
Believe it or not, I keep my golds water around 74*-78* and they thrive. Water less than 68* makes them a little sluggish and slows digestion. Many goldfish fans do the same thing and I've even had the temps in the low 80's when treating for Ick.
This is one of the best places to get advice. It's free and comes from TONS of experienced fish keepers. You picked a great place and have the right attitude. Good luck.
Maybe some of these guys can come over and help you set up an outdoor pond...lol! :)

koi are what got me into the aquarium hobby. They are one of my favorite fish. Although i no longer keep them i can tell you that they WILL GET HUGE VERY QUICKLY, and if that tank is not upgraded they will begin to grow deformed.

IMO and outdoor pond is the only thing that can house koi... enless you want to buy a 500+ gallon aquarium... u'd better find these guys a new home quickly.

Koi are really messy too, and the inch per gallon rule does not apply with them because of the waste they produce. I would say that 1 of your koi koi can produce the amount of waste as 3 tropical fish the same size.

Looks like u've got quite the problem. Good luck... and i applaud you for noticing that something is wrong with that you are keeping these fish in. good job... now the next step is getting them outa there....

Even if you buy a few large rubbermaid bins and some cheep pumps to use as remporary homes.

Is that pleco sucking on the koi? I have heard when hungry they will go after the slime coat of fish, but I've never seen it before in a photo (non-marine at least). And as mentioned it is a shame but the fish need to go to a better (larger) home. I am glad to see that the substrate looks very clean which is good, but they are producing rediculous amounts of nitrAte if in fact your filter is converting all the ammonia and nitrIte). I am also glad to see that your filter is made for a much larger tank (probably what is keeping the fish alive).

Please do the right thing and return the pleco ASAP. The koi will probably require an ad in the paper or other contact (check for a local aquarium/fish chapter). Most likely the LFS will not take back koi of that size (but who know's, they are beautiful fish you have there).

Got any updates Chinoanoah? I am curious to see what you and your dad decided to do. Either way, thinking good thoughts for you and the Koi.

No... sadly they won't get rid of them. They say they're happy fish.

I've got my own tank upstairs in my room now.

Please don't hesitate to contact this board again WHEN (not if) things go South. There are plenty here that will happily give you some advice.

All of those fish are unfortunately in for a very short life in such a small tank.
Do you think your father would read about them on the internet or ask a local fish store about them? Hopefully something can convince him to give them to a more suitable home.

I am an aquarium noob but any person with any common sense could see that a fish that looks like a carp could not possibly live in a 20 gallon. Actually the pleco alone will outgrow the 20 gallon soon. Your father needs some serious help in the mental department and I am even more concerned since after the last post you said nothing will be done about the situation despite the advice provided in the posts. I just don't like seeing fish being tortured and that is exactly what is happening in that aquarium.

janek said:
I am an aquarium noob but any person with any common sense could see that a fish that looks like a carp could not possibly live in a 20 gallon. Actually the pleco alone will outgrow the 20 gallon soon. Your father needs some serious help in the mental department and I am even more concerned since after the last post you said nothing will be done about the situation despite the advice provided in the posts. I just don't like seeing fish being tortured and that is exactly what is happening in that aquarium.

There is no need to be rude, even if that is not your intention. The poster seems to be not in control of the situation. I understand your concern, but this is something that is not in our control either. We can kick, scream, and yell, but in the end the poster's dad is the decision maker here. Offering him reading material is a start, but he has to choose to read it and make a decision himself.

janek said:
...Your father needs some serious help in the mental department ...

Gosh, I think someone else is in greater need for help...

I am sorry but it is obvious that koi and an aquarium do not go together. Just like it is obvious that the father is ok with it.

Gosh, I think someone else is in greater need for help...

So you are saying a responsible adult who keeps a koi in an aquarium is all ok in his head? Or is it because he is not responsible. I do understand if this was a 5 year old kid but it is not...

No... sadly they won't get rid of them. They say they're happy fish.

From what I read the parents made up their minds despite the posts.

Back
Top Bottom