Preserving Fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I was just curious,

But does Isopropyl alcohol (Rubbing alcohol) have the same preservational properties as formaldehyde?

A fish of mine passed away recently; with no trace of disease or physical ailments. A shame really, he seemed to be in good shape. It was a rubberlip pleco, 2.5" in length, i found a perfect sized jar. I filled it with 70% Isopropyl alcohol, in which I submersed the pleco.

Don't look at me too weirdly, i find biology very interesting.

Will he hold up? Or will he start to rot anyways.

Also, has anyone else done anything like this?? Heh :wink:

I've heard of 70% isopropyl alcohol for preserving, but generally only to cure the animal (24hour soak or less). Then it is dried fully. I do not know if it can be preserved long term this way.

I'd like to know this too. I have a tetra species that there is very little information about. When they go, I'd like to preserve them so they can be dissected and figure out the sexes and otherwise examined.

i believe wood and grain alcohol (methanol and ethanol ) can be used to preserve specimens for dissection... "Rubbing Alcohol" is a mixture of ethanol and water (i think the % alcohol varies by brand though) so it would make sense i think that you could use it to preserve your fish, but you may need to add something else to the mix...

At the university where I work, I believe they use 95% ethanol in the preservation of their fishes. Many places use ethanol instead of formaldehyde, not only is it less noxious, but I believe that ethanol is not as detrimental to the DNA of the preserved specimen as formaldehyde.

Hm, interesting. I showed it to my bio teacher, she said I could ask someone in the science dept. if I could use some formaldehyde.
Ethanol? can that be bought at... A grocer? Pharmacy? Anyone know where?

The liquor store!! :) Everclear is currently available for purchase and it's 95% ethanol....strongest made for consumption. I hope you're 21. If not, send someone and see if they believe you're going to use it to preserve your fish. :lol:

If they have formaldahyde in your science dept they should have ethanol. It's pretty standard in biology and chemistry classrooms.

Everclear! I thought it might've been that. It recalls to memory a night a few years back, buddy of mine, oh boy. Anyways,

I think it would be interesting to preserve fish with sentimental value. Or just cool fish that had passed away. That is, of course, if there are no visible/physical ailments or injuries...

Though some call me crazy, it's interesting as hell.

I have a red-bellied piranha thay was the victim of a New Year's Eve party (beer in the tank) about 25 years ago. I put the deceased fish in a plastic container of rubbing alcohol for a couple days, then dried it out. It's in a Riker mount somewhere in the attic, still looks the same as the day it was placed in there.

When my ctenopoma died, I just dried him without using any preservatives. He looks a little shriveled but is otherwise ok. Does using alcohol make a difference in the final appearance?

Not sure about appearance, but it is better for larger fish. The alcohol will prevent the insides from decaying before they dry.

Back
Top Bottom