Preventative for ICH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mskohl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. Last night I thought I saw ich spots all over my newest addition, a coral beauty, but this morning they were gone and she looks fine. I'm wondering now, is there something that I can add to the tank or their food that would help prevent an outbreak? Any ideas on what the flecks were? Thanks for your help.

Lot of times you`ll see specks and then they dissapear and people think they are gone. In reality they have fallen off the fish and over 200 free swimming tomites come from each speck. That`s why people think they got rid of it only to see the fish infested with it not to much later. Do you have a QT that you can apply treatment.

Unfortunately there is no good quick fix solution. If ich is in your system then all the fish need to be moved to a hospital tank, treated and the main need to remain fishless for at least 6 weeks.

So, you're pretty sure it was ich then and not some other specs? I suppose it's just wishful thinking.

I do not have a quarantine tank yet. I'm dreading it. My LFS (only saltwater and seem reputable) said that they quarantine and the people they get the fish from quarantine, so as long as I acclimate properly, I shouldn't have any problems.

Well, I've had this well established tank for a week and I have no way of knowing whether the ich was in the tank or on the fish (for fyi about the store). I brought the fish home on Thursday and on Monday, I saw white flecks, and Tuesday they're gone.

I just read amahler's issues with his quarantine tanks and he knows a lot more about this than I do. 8O I'm really worried about this situation.

Back
Top Bottom