Preventing Parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxamillion

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I added two clowns to my display tank about a week ago, and the damsels in the tank... didnt really like it at all, and I am pretty sure that one of the damsels hurt one of the clowns on its side (I assume it was the damsels fault since that same fin is also damaged) well I want to prevent that area to become infected (as it is a very good looking fish otherwise). What can I do? Should I QT the fish and drip acclimate it to a lower salinity to possible rid of any possiblility of bacteria? The actual area is hard to see, I just noticed it today, its a sort of white ish streak where the black line is forming on the fish right near is front right fin.

Any ideas or suggestions? Please help, I really dont want to lose this fish.

Thanks,
max

Mild abrassions and injuries rarely need treating. The best means of control/prevention is water changes. By reducing any potential DOC in the water, you effectively starve any harmful bacteria. Also being sure any foods fed are properly fortified with a good marine vitamin high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] will boost the fish's natural immune response. Both these done together will allow the fish to heal itself without the need for meds. Lowered salinities will have little or no affect on bacterial infections.

<<Bacterial issues>> are completely different than parasites. The only way of preventing parasites from entering the main tank is to <<quarantine>> the fish for 4 weeks first.

What species of damsels?

Cheers
Steve

Yellow tail, Blue Neon, and one that I cant exactly ID but its mostly white with a yellow stripe that starts at the eye and goes along the top ridge to the back and then the bottom fins have some black-ish blue colors (PS I am getting rid of all three of these to make room for nicer fish.

I have a q that will fit nicely here. I have read some things that say that the yellowtail blue damsel is one of the less aggressive damsels. Is this true steve?

Back
Top Bottom