Prices for Gold Nugget Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the LFS today, and a spotted a sign saying "manager's special, Gold Nugget Plecos 19.99"

Now, the cheapest i have ever seen one of these fish before was 37 dollars american.... and this is canadian pricing (for the ones i saw today)

I was getting some albino bristlenose plecos ordered in for me, at 18 dollars a peice. A dollar more fir a rarer plecos (that i know grows fairly large), is it worth it?

I have one on hole for me. They are about 3" long ATM...

What were the prices you paid for yours? I really want one... this is actually the first time i have ever seen one and i was stunned.

What do you think?

I paid $24.99 at my LFS about a year ago for mine. He was about 2" then, now he's about 4" maybe 4 1/2"...

I just recently purchased one as well at a LFS and I paid $19.99 for him... they were selling one at Petsmart a few weeks ago for $39.99 but I wasn't going to pay that much for one! I've been keeping and eye out for one for quite a while and I noticed the LFS had some while I stopped by to browse the tanks (as I am looking to upgrade). I saw they had some, bought one and was so excited that I completely forgot to check out the tanks... the main reason I went there to begin with!? :roll: Oh well, I'm happy to finally have one now! He's only about 1.5" long... small little fella'.

Go for it. That's a great price for a fish that is normally expensive, and can be difficult to keep. GN's generally cost $29.99 here.

ugggh... i went back... and guess what, i chickened out.

They had it in the bag for me... and i just didn't feel that excitement that i usually feel when i am getting a new fish usually. I just had this mentality "oh, another fish", which really sickend me because usually i would be jumping off the walls to find such a beautiful fish for such a reasoanble price... but i wasnt excited, i just felt like i was wasting my money.

uggh... i somewhat regret it, but i would regret spending my money more i think....

Best to go with your gut, if you don't feel happy about getting a fish best not to get it. I commend you for going with your gut.

Yah I agree I remember one time I seen these Guppies that had awesome colouring and I bought them and when I was walking out I was like WHY DID I JUST BUY A GUPP?!?! Good thing you didnt buy him that day. I got my Nugget for $10 from another aquarist and at Petland they are usually $49.99-$59.99 CDN

jibboo,

I have to laugh that link you supplied has a spotted royal pleco, and also listed is a royal spotted pleco. :) The price difference between the 2 is $40!

BTW, where do you live? I'm SW of philly in Havertown.

I have a 2" ABNP and was considering getting a couple GN. Can I put these two species together? How big do GN get?

leoslizards said:
I have a 2" ABNP and was considering getting a couple GN. Can I put these two species together? How big do GN get?

A quick google search says a foot long. I don't know about temperament but with most pleco's they are fine as long as you have adequate space for them to claim territories. Problems arise when you try to cram a couple into a small space, and this might be exacerbated by the size discrepancy when they get close to maturity (4-5" for the BN pleco and 12" for the GN).

EDIT, also found this:

o keep more than one adult specimen in the same tank, or together with other bottomdwelling fish, you need at least a 48x20" (120x50cm.) tank: this fish can be quite territorial, and when suitable hiding places are lacking, it can be agressive towards other bottomdwellers. When kept as only catfish in an aquarium, a tank size of 40x18" (100x45cm.) is sufficient.

My LFS sells them for 39.99, sometimes I'll see them for 29.99. I bought mine at That Fish Place for $14.99.

Back
Top Bottom