Problem with a dwarf frog.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

germanyt

Aquarium Advice Freak
I checked the amphib section and it's full of ADF threads but not much help there. I've also googled a bunch of key words with no luck on figuring out my problem. I lost a frog last night to my filter. Not the first one that's happened to but that's not the problem. I have one that is floating on the surface. The other 2 in the tank are just fine. It won't stay down. I pulled it out and tried feeding it some bloodworms but it didn't eat. I feed them individually every 3 days and like I said, the others are fine so I know it's not a lack of food. I tried forcing it to the bottom to see if it'd start swimming but no. It just slowly floats back to the surface. It's barely moving as well. If I touch it it'll move but not much. Is it bloat and I'm dealing with a soon to be dead frog? Or something normal or fixable?

And before you ask my water is fine. They are in an ideal habitat. Also, I feel like I won't get very good advice if I say something like my pH is 8.0. Too many people will be inclined to blame it on the pH without actually knowing if that's what's causing it.

D'yer happen to cast a good eye on it? See anythin that looks like a whitish cloud or cottony-like strings surrounding it? Shine a torch at it from a slight angle (15 deg or so from horizontal) from above the frog while you are looking up towards the belly and you'll see an unmistakable 'fuzz' surrounding the frog if it has The Chytrid Fungus - which I understand is responsible for devastating losses in the frog pop.

Also, you'd mentioned other frogs - are you absolutely certain that they are indeed African Dwarf Frogs and not African Clawed frogs - which a number of people, including workers at pet stores confuse with he Dwarf frog - until they realize that one of their dwarves is 5 times the size of his brothers :lol:.

Among other interesting traits regarding the Claw frog, they are known carriers of the Chytrid Fungus, though they are immune to the deadly effects of it themselves. Chytrid is very, very contagious and if you have one frog with it, you'll undoubtedly have all of 'em down with it before too long.

If it were Bloat, you'd know right off. Of course it could be any number of things but I thought of the Fungus as one of my son's Afrian Dwarf frogs displayed identical behaviour to that which you are describing and turned out to be Chytrid.

If it isn't Fungus, whatever is wrong is serious - they float on the top like that 'cause they are too weak to make the trips up to the surface to get a breath.

Hope it works out for you. Gotta catch the St. Pierre/Diaz highlights!

Back
Top Bottom