problem with blackbeard algae on first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herbzIOW

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone help me find out why I am getting bba?

80l tank
Diy co2
55w plant light
Sand & jbl something or other substrate

Dosing dennerle nutrients daily
8 hours of light with a half hour break in between

Many thanks :)

Yeah. 4 hours on, half hour off, 4 hours on, 15 and a half off. Someone told me a break in the lighting period disrupts the algae growth

what type of ferts are you dosing? are you dosing macro and micro ferts?

also do you know the rough (or exact) PPM of Co2 you have in your tank?

55 watts for a 15 gallon tank is alot of light, so you will inturn need alot of ferts and Co2 to balance things out, when things are out of balance then BBA will occur.

Too much light left on too long along with inconsistant CO2 levels often associated with DIY CO2 is usually the problem behind BBA. You need to find a much lower wattage of bulb. Do you have a drop checker for your CO2 set up?

Were it my tank I'd lower the bulb wattage and only run your lighting 6 hours until BBA is under control. Breaking up your light cycle alone won't get rid of the BBA. Also you can spot treat the BBA with Excel or Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. Pull up 2-3ml of Excel of Peroxide for every 10 gallons of water and directly squirt on the BBA. If you have alot you'll have to do a small area a day to treat. Also if you use Peroxide you need to turn your lights and filter off for 15-20 minutes while you treat. The algae will start dying within 24 hours where treated. But it will come back if you don't address the underlying issues causing it.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure on the ferts, it's a dennerle bottle of ferts and its all in german! It was recommended by a lfs which I have recently learned knows about as much on heavily planted tanks as me! (NOT MUCH). The bba was on some plants I got from a friend. It doesn't seem to be growing on any of my existing plants though. Mostly on the glossostigma. What I've been doing so far is waiting for new runners to grow a bit then cut off the old bits with the bba. It appears to be doing the trick so far but may bee too early to tell? I have dropped the light down to 6 hours for now as I can't afford another one. Not too sure on co2, I need to get a drop checker. I'd say the output seems to be pretty consistant but again I need to get a drop checker

Back
Top Bottom