Problem with my fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coyote251

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been fishless cycling my 25g tank for the past few weeks. I reached the point where my ammonia levels were dropping from 4-5ppm to 0.1(or whatever the lowest level is on the scale) in about 24hrs. I had tons of nitrites and nitrates. They were off my scale. So I did a 60% water change and continued to monitor the level. Ph had been stable all the time. Then the ph dropped drastically overnight. I did a major water change and continued to dose my tank. The first time the ph dropped was last Friday and I have had to do a water change every day since because every morning when I check the levels the ph has dropped from 7 -7.5 to 5 or below. Is this normal? What can I do to help stabilize the ph? I am planning on keeping cichlids in this tank, would cichlid water conditioner help raise the ph and stabilize it? I have checked the ph of the water I am using after adding Prime and it is always 7-7.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thankfully I have a well, I would hate to see my water bill if I had to pay for all these water changes!

Hi! I would drop your amm dose back down to 2ppm for now & add either some crushed coral or argonite to your filter to help stabilize the ph & add some buffers to your water. Do a big water change before adding it to get your ph to its normal level. It will be a bit of trial & error to figure out the correct ammount but I would start with 1 tablespoon & work up from there. Place it in either a mesh bag or piece of panythose, too.

Once you are able to stabilize your ph, you can gradually increase the ammonia dose back up to 4ppm (no higher) over a couple of days while keeping an eye on everything. Please dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Might want to check KH and GH too. I know alot of Cichlid keepers run those tests. A low KH could prevent your ph from being stable. Did you check your tap water ph, before adding prime?

Back
Top Bottom