problem with platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic26

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently added 3 new plates.(1 male 2 females) one of the females is hiding and didn't even come out when I fed frozen food. Is she sick?

She is even fat. The male looks like the one that's pregnant but that's impossible. Is there something wrong with him?

She is even fat. The male looks like the one that's pregnant but that's impossible. Is there something wrong with him?

He could be bloated. I had a guppy like that. Is responding well to some antibacterial medicine, and smaller feeding schedule. I think you can feed the deshelled peas. I think it is a laxative.

He seemes normal. I have tried peas with my other platies in the past and they don't eat them.

How about a little more info so we can figure out what's going on.

First, what size tank?
Second, are the guppies the only ones in the tank?
Third, is your tank cycled?

How about a little more info so we can figure out what's going on. First, what size tank? Second, are the guppies the only ones in the tank? Third, is your tank cycled?

Good clarifying questions. To answer your question, I have a 10g guppy only tank. The male kept getting larger, but also showed other signs of stress. Mostly cloudy eye and slow behavior. But he has been perking up with the antibacterial meds.

As far as this rmiller goes, I think he has platties.

Good clarifying questions. To answer your question, I have a 10g guppy only tank. The male kept getting larger, but also showed other signs of stress. Mostly cloudy eye and slow behavior. But he has been perking up with the antibacterial meds. As far as this rmiller goes, I think he has platties.

Oops. I meant finfanatic has platties.

Sorry, I saw mention of a guppy in the post before mine and just replaced one live bearer for the other.

So you have a 30 gallon with 3 platies and a gourami. Definitely not overstocked yet. How about the cycle question? Can you post your numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? How about pH, kh, and gh if you have the tests for them?

My tank was cycled for two months before I got the fish. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 80, and ph is 7.6 to 7.8. I don't have a test for anything else.

My tank was cycled for two months before I got the fish. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate about 80, and ph is 7.6 to 7.8. I don't have a test for anything else.

Nitrate should never be above 40. And below 20 is much better. You should do a large water change to lower nitrate levels. Do a 50% change, wait an hour, and then another 50%.

Does your tap water have nitrate in it?

My tap has 0. I did my first water change waiting for second one. Is there anything else I should do

My tap has 0. I did my first water change waiting for second one. Is there anything else I should do

I've heard that prime can help reduce nitrates in a tank. It apparently also conditions the water for the fish. If you don't have this, it can't hurt to add a little extra of the conditioner. I use API stress coat. It helps stressed fish by supplying an artificial slime coat which helps their stressed immune system. But really, the water changes will be the most helpful.

Had you any fish in the tank at all. The BB won't survive without any 'food'-waste

What is your PWC like, how much, how often??. Are you overfeeding??. Are you doing a gravel vac??

I've heard that prime can help reduce nitrates in a tank. It apparently also conditions the water for the fish. If you don't have this, it can't hurt to add a little extra of the conditioner. I use API stress coat. It helps stressed fish by supplying an artificial slime coat which helps their stressed immune system. But really, the water changes will be the most helpful.
Prime only locks Nitrate for a short time, 48hrs maybe less. It makes it harmless for this period. It is only a temporary measure. It also provides slime coat... Water changes are the best way to remove Nitrates

Had you any fish in the tank at all. The BB won't survive without any 'food'-waste

What is your PWC like, how much, how often??. Are you overfeeding??. Are you doing a gravel vac??

I had a guppy in during cycleing . I usually do 25% water changes 1 or 2 a week. I feed them 2 time daily with only how much they can eat in 1 min. I gravel vac before each water change.

I had a guppy in during cycleing . I usually do 25% water changes 1 or 2 a week. I feed them 2 time daily with only how much they can eat in 1 min. I gravel vac before each water change.
If you doing 25% water changes 1 or 2 a week, I would definitely do it twice a week or do one 50%. Also only feed once a day, it will not have any negative effect on them. Try even skipping a day or two a week. Try this for 2wks and see if it make a difference. I bet it could easily half your Nitrate levels......

Back
Top Bottom