problem with skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got a cpr bak pak 2R almost three weeks ago. The night that i got it , it had already collected some stuff in the cup. But now that i've had it 3 weeks, i have emptied the cup once, even then it could have gone a day or two withouth being emtpied. since i emptied it last weekend, it has hardly collected anything, less than half a cm. A guy I know said his Aqua C remora's cup has to be emtied almost every two days. Is my skimmer working right? It all seems ok, but its not collecting anything in the cup.

I would give it more time sometimes new skimmers can take a while to develop the slim coating that helps in creating skimmate. It could also be that your tank just doesn't have anything to skim. Unlikely, but certainly a possibility. Certainly every tank is different and what happens in your friends tank might not and probably won't in your tank.

skimmers need time to break in. at one point my sea clone's cup needed emptied daily but now twice a week is enough for it. it will sometimes need emptied immediatly and sometimes a week or more is enough time for stuff to accumulate.

try adjusting the collection cup. Maybe lower it a little bit more. If the skimmate looks like watered down tea, it needs to be raised a little bit. if you are getting nothing, lower it.

i wouldnt judge by a seaclone....
i agree with SirLight....check the adjustments
I know mine took awhile and the junk varys by the bioload too and the amount u fee ur critters :)

Ok ill afust it and give it some time. It also seems like a lot of micro bubbles are getting int my tank. will that also stop once the skimmer is broken in? Or is that also something that needs to be adjusted?

that means the output of the skimmer is putting out the bubbles and the return pump is returning them into the main
i had a simiral issue and a few things i did was to move the return pump alitle or turn it around

Back
Top Bottom