Problematic Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting to wonder if my test kit is reading out wrong and not my judgement. I'll test ammonia and it'll read out at 1ppm(This is EVERYTIME for like the last month or two) and then i'll do a water change. I figured I was just going through a normal cycle(because I had been). However, I tested, got 1 ppm, did a 35% water change and tested my water again......1 ppm. Is that possible. Think my test kit is wrong and not me? My fish never look stressed, they're all active and healthy.

The easy way to find out is to take a water sample to an LFS and have them test it. Get a clean tupperware container, fill it with water, and go immediately to the LFS. Don't let the water sit for very long and you'll get a more accurate comparison.

Are you using test strips or a chemical test kit?

neilanh said:
The easy way to find out is to take a water sample to an LFS and have them test it. Get a clean tupperware container, fill it with water, and go immediately to the LFS. Don't let the water sit for very long and you'll get a more accurate comparison.

Are you using test strips or a chemical test kit?

I'm using an API chemical test kit. Oh and i'll do that, probably next time we go to petsmart.

Good kit.

Yup, if you suspect your getting bad readings, that's the easy way to find out.

As far as trying to figure out your conditions, we'd need more information.

How long has your tank been running?
Did you see a complete cycle occur, or did you do a fishless cycle?
What types and how many fish do you have, and when were they introduced in respect to when the tank was setup.

If your tank is still fairly new, and you haven't seen a full cycle yet, if you're carrying a good load of fish, it is possible that your ammonia readings are at 1ppm. If that's the case, you're going to want to get that down by doing larger and more frequent PWCs to prevent gill burns to your fish.

neilanh said:
Good kit.

Yup, if you suspect your getting bad readings, that's the easy way to find out.

As far as trying to figure out your conditions, we'd need more information.

How long has your tank been running?
Did you see a complete cycle occur, or did you do a fishless cycle?
What types and how many fish do you have, and when were they introduced in respect to when the tank was setup.

If your tank is still fairly new, and you haven't seen a full cycle yet, if you're carrying a good load of fish, it is possible that your ammonia readings are at 1ppm. If that's the case, you're going to want to get that down by doing larger and more frequent PWCs to prevent gill burns to your fish.

Well I did a fishless cycle at first(a couple months ago, early september). But then one day, I got a reading of 4ppm ammonia, .25 nitrite, so I was like.......I must not be cycled, and this was after I had added fish and had them in for a while. So then I figured I was in a fishy cycle, did daily water changes to keep ammonia at bay and then went and added bio spira(early this month) which gave me a nitrite spike, but I was still getting an ammonia reading. However, as a precaution, I did a water change every day I saw the ammonia reading at 1 ppm, but recently, i've gotten suspicious of it. I have 4 glowlight tetras, 4 rasboras, 1 dwarf gourami, and 4 bronze cories.

Interesting.

Just to make sure, you do dechlor your tank when you add new water, right? Something about the chlorine/chloramines can bond with ammonia and give you false readings.

Some others can pipe in, and maybe they'll know exactly what's going on. Getting the double check at the LFS is probably a good idea, and is easy to do.

neilanh said:
Interesting.

Just to make sure, you do dechlor your tank when you add new water, right? Something about the chlorine/chloramines can bond with ammonia and give you false readings.

Of course. I use prime.

rich311k said:
Try testing your tap or some bottled water and see what you get. The bottled should be 0.
Maybe its not my kit. Bottled water was 0ppm and my tank was .5 ppm. So why does this cycle seem never ending? I even have Nitrates(10ppm).

Don't take your water to PetsMart. Try a mom and pop type store. PetsMart uses strips for testing.

I use the same kits, make sure you wash them out after you use them so no chemicals get left over, if that doesn't work take it to the LFS for them to test, if it shows normal, contact API I would imagine they would take care o fyou, they are really good with there customers, I got 6 free test tubes when I accidently broke one lol

Back
Top Bottom