problems affixing corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a lot of experience keeping fish, but am new with reefs. I am having problems affixing my corals. At first I found some holes in the rocks to put them in. Now I have used most of the smaller holes. I have a tubinara that I had used an entire tube of epoxy to affix. It stayed for about a month but tumbled over recently. I also have a toadstool leather that I am not sure how to attach. I have even tried using superglue gel, but I think the surface area is too incongruent for it to work. My poor corals! :cry: Any ideas? Should I try more epoxy?

Try the sandwich teqnique.

Coral>>supreglue gel>> epoxy>> superglue gel > LR.

The glue will allow the bonds to hold up against the weight of the coral and the epoxy will allow the surfaces to "mold" together. You may need to hold the coral or prop it up for a short time while the glue sets up a bit.

Cheers
Steve

I will try that, I never knew this would be so hard to do. To be safe, do I need to dry off the surfaces firstbefore glueing? I do not want to harm the tubinara.

To be safe, do I need to dry off the surfaces firstbefore glueing?
I blot the bottoms of my sps before I place superglue on them.. I let them sit out of the water for a few secs and then stick them to the LR.. It seems to work pretty good..

HTH,
James

How do you affix your softies? My toadstool is crammed in a crevice, but my urchin knocked him off once.

How do you affix your softies? My toadstool is crammed in a crevice, but my urchin knocked him off once.
I hear that some use toothpicks and put it thru the base of it and Rubberband it to a Piece of LR.. After about a week or 2 it should attach and you can carefully remove the toothpick then..

HTH,
James

bizzybeas said:

You might also try placing a small plastic container in the bottom of the tank in a low flow area with some larger rubble rock pieces. Cover with some veil material and wait a week or so. It should attach to the rock fairly easily and then the rock can be glued or epoxied to something else.

I have also used plastic HOB FW breader boxes and drilled extra holes for water flow. They are great for keeping out the pests and at the same time providing proper lighting and flow while the coral recovers from fragging and allows it a safe place to attach.

Cheers
Steve

For leathers I have had the best luck by rubberbanding them to a rock. It takes them 2 - 3 weeks to attach enough to remove the rubberband.

Back
Top Bottom