Progressions to My 5 Gallon: Run-off from "Micro fish for a 5 Gallon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did notice a little nippiness between the CPDs, maybe there were too many males.

I think by the time my tank grows out it will be heavily planted so by the time the Sagittaria dies, which I'm assuming it will, I will replace it with banana plant.

Thanks, I can't wait for the DH carpet to fill out.

Should I get liquid ferts for the tank? If so, what brand?

FreshObsessed said:
I did notice a little nippiness between the CPDs, maybe there were too many males.

I think by the time my tank grows out it will be heavily planted so by the time the Sagittaria dies, which I'm assuming it will, I will replace it with banana plant.

Id say go for the ferts! I'm going to start dosing soon. My grass isn't suffering, but it is growing slow. And it loses about a hair a day :/. So I'm going to supplement too! And I'm also going to dose planaria killing medicine. Because I hate them so much. Lol. I don't mind the creepy nematodes. Just the planaria. I even love the copepods.

I'd just get Seachem Flourish. It contains most of the nutrients you'll need to get started. I use it and have noticed that my plants grow about 30% faster.

What temp is the tank? CPDs prefer cooler water. It's possible it was nipped (although sparring between males is common but they don't generally injure each other) or more likely it was injured on a decoration; any sharp edges to that DW piece? I usually file anything sharp down with some sandpaper or a nail file. Your params look good. They might be stressed too, the tank is pretty open, they prefer a lot of cover and with the light sand their colors aren't going to show as much as they would if the sand were darker. A black background on the tank might look nice too and make them feel more secure.

The tank temp runs between 72-74 degree F. They have plenty of cover. The driftwood has small crevices, the micro sword completely hides them, I can't find them sometimes:p, and they hide behind the heater and in the roots of the Anubias Coffefolia. When I get more CPDs I will ask for females then hopefully that will fix this issue. Right now I think I have 2m and 2f. So 2 more females will be great.

Added a black background, as suggested by Librarygirl. I like it!

IMG_1414[1].jpg

What do you guys think?

Minor Update Time:
Dosed my first .5-ish ML of Flourish today.
My LFS will have Scarlet Badis IN STOCK by the end of the week!!! I will go in and pick 1 or 2 up on Saturday. :dance:

Update time:
Everything is growing in well in Micro land over here. ;)

Even better news: I decided a Scarlet Badis wouldn't be the best choice for my tank. The plants aren't fully grown in like I want them to be. So, I went to the LFS just to look around and noticed Bumblebee Gobies. I went home, did some research and decided my tank would be suitable for a mini-school of these guys due to their size and activity level. So today, I stopped back by the LFS after 2 days and picked up 3 gorgeous Bumblebee Gobies. They are adorable and mine are only a half inch long.

Pics will be up later.

TIA. :thanks:

FreshObsessed said:
Update time:
Everything is growing in well in Micro land over here. ;)

Even better news: I decided a Scarlet Badis wouldn't be the best choice for my tank. The plants aren't fully grown in like I want them to be. So, I went to the LFS just to look around and noticed Bumblebee Gobies. I went home, did some research and decided my tank would be suitable for a mini-school of these guys due to their size and activity level. So today, I stopped back by the LFS after 2 days and picked up 3 gorgeous Bumblebee Gobies. They are adorable and mine are only a half inch long.

Pics will be up later.

TIA. :thanks:

So u are doing a brackish tank now?

No I am not doing a brackish tank, lol.

One type of Bumblebee Goby needs brackish water to survive. The species I have is fine in freshwater. They love the tank. They are really curious and actually quite fast.

FreshObsessed said:
No I am not doing a brackish tank, lol.

One type of Bumblebee Goby needs brackish water to survive. The species I have is fine in freshwater. They love the tank. They are really curious and actually quite fast.

Oh i didn't not know there were two types of this species. Wow i want some!!! What is its scientific name?

I didn't say more commonly heard of, even though I do believe it is. I said they are easier to find.

Sorry guys. I have been super busy lately with the end of the school year coming and summer starting. I really haven't done that much to my tank. Another CPD has succumbed and this time he didn't have an fins left and multiple scrapes. I definitely have too many males.

But I do have some exciting news...my Dwarf Hairgrass, after a little die off, has sprouted some new hairs and the carpet is starting to fill in. :)

Pics will be up in 5. Using the Iphone so pics wont be as good as my Canon. :eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom