Protein skimmer for 29g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Debating about getting a protein skimmer for my 29g reef. Reg 29 high not a biocube. Currently I am sumpless
Might in the future have a 10g sump.
Any recommendations for a skimmer that will hang on the back of my tank and be able to fit in a 10g sump.

Will a skimmer benefit my tAnk?

There are skimmers out there that will work, I believe CPR's Bakpak has good reviews but don't know what sizes it manages off the top of my head.
Normally, I advise those under 30 gallons to save the money they'd spend on a skimmer for something else as it is easy to manage parameter issues with larger than average water changes if necessary. Weekly water changes are easy as is, as a 10% would be 3 gallons in your system. If nitrates start getting high, then doing a 5 gallon water change or even a 10 if necessary isn't that hard to accomplish.

So a protein skimmer wouldn't help cut bdvk on water changes. Would money be better spend on a sump

It can help on reducing waste in the water column. This isn't a replacement for weekly water changes though, as this is also replacing things in the water column that are being absorbed by coral or inverts.

I have one in my 29g BC, I think it makes a noticable difference. It certainly pulls out some crud. Money well spent assuming you have the money. Got mine on sale, $60 if I remember right.

You can get away with no skimmer under 30 gallons, but you have to keep up with water changes or youll be in algae city

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And water changes not only help with removing excessive nutrients but also replenishes important trace elements that are important to fish and coral processes. In saying that I would skip the skimmer in a tank that size and do frequent PWC`s instead.

IA was going to just say the same one hydor slim skim

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom