Protein Skimmers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my name is Anthony and I have been looking to turn my 40 gallon breeder into a reef tank. While looking into protein skimmers I have seen people say 40 gallons and under don't worry about it or 40 gallons and up should have one. So what do you think? If I do need one does it need to be rated for 40 gallons? What are some low cost, simple skimmers you would suggest? Thank you in advance!

Can't hurt adding one. Look on bulk reef supply or dr fosters. If you don't get one just be diligent on weekly water changes.

Take a look at the Hydor Slim skim nano. its rated for what you got. I have the big one. It works beautifuly and does what its suppose to. Having a skimmer never hurts. Hope this helps! Good luck

I have a 43 gallon fish tank and I use a Coralife super skimmer 65g

image-133981702.jpg

I bought a hang off the back refugium with a protein skimmer built in for my 65 gallon and it works great. I have a reef octopus diablo in my 93 gallon cube in the sump, it also works great.

I have a 40 breeder and have a reef octopus bh2000 hob. You can get the bh1000. I got a good deal so I got the big one

I have a Bubble Magus Nac 3.5+. Good mid-range priced skimmer that is pretty high quality.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com usually has some very good prices on skimmers. They also are known for only selling products that are pretty good quality - and all of their staff are reefers so the support is great. Figured I'd throw that out there if you were looking for a place to get one.

Back
Top Bottom