protien skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raza

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
do i need one i have a 30g tank with an anemone and clownfish

I would defnitely consider at least a small bakpak type skimmer..what kind of lighting do you have for the anemone?

Mike

None of us need a skimmer..... It defiantly helps all of us though. You can do without but you will have to do more pwc to keep your water in check. With 1 fish and an anenome your bioload is quite small. If you did get a few more fish It wouldn't hurt for you to get a small hob skimmer

Indeed, more pwc's in a 30g. I've used skimmers in every system I owned, and it does cut down on maintenance for sure.

For a 30 gallon tank I would just do weekly PWC`s. Smaller tanks can go without a skimmer.

I don't have a skimmer on my 29 gallon reef and my only problems are phosphate so im getting a gfo reactor. My bio load is a tail spot blenny, 2 clowns, and a purple firefish. I do weekly 15% wc.

Skimmer is really nice to want for your small tank. Definitely not needed though. You can get better water quality by doing more water changes. The cost in salt will be proportionate to cost of buying/running a skimmer.

I've run small tanks with and without a skimmer. While a skimemr is a nice piece of equipment to have I don't think it's a necessity. If you do say 3g a week in water changes you should be good to go. The anemone does concern me though. How long has the tank been up, what are your parameters now and what kind of lighting do you have? Any money you might want to invest in a skimmer might be better spent in relation to the questions I just asked. :)

Back
Top Bottom