pseudotropheus saulosi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can these fish live comfortably in a 29 gallon tank? I am trying to find something with a lot of color that can live comfortably in a 29 gallon tank.....

i think so, but u wont get many. maybe about 8ish? 2m 6f would be good.
why not look at dwarfs like pseudocrenilabrus nicholsii or apisto variants?
imo, in a 29 id overstock with african cichlids like mbuna as long as it was a long tank. overstocking keeps down aggression, and mbuna are gorgeous!!
would you breed them? if no, maybe look at an all male african mix, very pretty! x

8is sounds great. I really like the yellow and blue mix. I do not care for the fish with the silverish look as much. Anyone know of any good places to by fish.

I am so confused by all the different names I have no clue what I want yet LOL

Tank still has a few weeks left in cycling so I have time to decide.

small non-chain lfs should have better varieties of cichlids as they care more about what the fish are and how they are looked after, as opposed to a PetCo or whatever.
here's my reccomendations, with good colour:
- red or cobalt zebras (metraclima estherae)
- pseudotropheus saulosi (as u mentioned)
- melanochromis johanni or interruptus (awesome blues)
- labidochromis caeruleus (common and easy care, pretty)
- aulonocara varieties (amazing colours, but can be bad mix with mbuna)
- fuelleborni (also many colours, funny noses ha)
- kenyi (blue and yellow, nice stripes too)
- pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee, looks adorable!)

i am not saying get one of each, but some can be mixed. im not reccomending auratus or acei, auratus are quite evil ime and the acei need about 75gal min.
what have you found? any of them you like? i dont like plain colours either - but cichlids like these are amazing!! x

I Love the Kenyi but I have to find somewhere local that has them. Petsmart is the only place I know locally with fish :ermm: Im scared to have live fish shipped

I am really fond of something that can have both blue and yellow in the same species. What is the best male to female ratio for these? How many can go comfortably in a 29 gallon? I do not want to overstock if I do not need to.

with most cichlids, it 1m 3f.
kenyi, saulosi and johanni are ones with different colours for genders. the Johannis and saulosi have yellow females, the kenyi has blue females.
aulonocaras have almost any colour under the sun, so u can get blue and yellow there. plus you can get a yellow lab and a cobalt zebra mix, they may hybridize but as long as you dont sell the fry you are fine.

in a 29 i suggest 2m 6f, but initially i suggest getting 4m 7f and weeding out the nasties, i.e 2 bad males and 1 bad female. it happens alot, and this helps get the ideal mix x

Back
Top Bottom