puffer help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey i have 2 figure 8 puffers in my tank, just noticed my Nitrates were quite high... around 60-70ppm...which is way too high for them. I cant make a water change till tomorrow morning however, will they be okay over night?? I need help asap. thanks everyone.

How long have they been that way? Are the rest of your water parameters OK?

Hard to say, I don't see how they'd jump up like that in a short time period , so I can't image why another night would hurt.

Our streets water has been shut off while the city repairs some pipes. It not back on till tomorrow morning.

I literally just got them today. Around 9 hrs ago....ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.

They look fine this morning. Ding a large 75% water change now. Thanks for the help guys.

Good to hear. Puffers are really cool and we've really gotten attached to our GSP's in a weeks time :D.

I'd suggest you try and figure out the jump in no3 though, in case it happens again. Over feeding is one possible cause I can think of.

They are really cute. I have another pair of them in a different tank, only when i got these ones, they were just babies. I cant figure out the nitrate problem either, becuase i haven't even fed them till today. I did recently get a new API kot, perhaps my old ones nitrate test was no good.

They are really cute. I have another pair of them in a different tank, only when i got these ones, they were just babies. I cant figure out the nitrate problem either, becuase i haven't even fed them till today. I did recently get a new API kot, perhaps my old ones nitrate test was no good.

Could be. Check the lot# on the bottles (ie 0810=Aug. 2010) and I've heard it's valid 3-5 years after that date.

Did the PWC get the no2 down? I rescued a fish that was in no2 @ 160+ppm and it was fine, but <40ppm is max IMO.

yeah i did an 60%-70% WC a couple hours ago, testing nitrate now with the new test kit, and if need be, ill do another PWC...for puffers, i prefer to keep nitrate below 20ppm as best i can

they are at about 30 ppm now... im going to do another PWC to get them below 20ppm...im sure the puffers will be fine, but since they are scaleless, i think they do better when nitrates are <20ppm

they are at about 30 ppm now... im going to do another PWC to get them below 20ppm...im sure the puffers will be fine, but since they are scaleless, i think they do better when nitrates are <20ppm

My BW plants keep it between 5-10ppm, but 20ppm is a good goal to shoot for. Not sure if F8's have issues with 40ppm, but GSP don't from my research.

i dont think they do...however after reading on puffer forum, many swear by keeping there nitrates below 20ppm

Back
Top Bottom